First Belgian Whit Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sean83

Reaction score
Hi All,

Brewing my first Belgian Whit and I think I may have hit a snag. The recipe is as follows

1.5 kg German Pils
1 kg Wheat
1 kg Raw (unmalted) Wheat
500g Rolled oats

I mashed everything at 66 degrees in a BIAB for 20 mins then brought the temp up for 20 mins to 75 degrees. I was just getting ready for the boil when I noticed I hadn't added the Rolled Oats.

I have in a moment of panic added to roll oats to the wort in a small bag of swiss voile and mashed it for 60 mins on 65 degrees. Has this been a waste of time and or is there a chance to effect the already mashed wort?

Cheers Sean

Did you get your expected gravity?

Mmmmm. 66 for 20 min? Usually 60 min mash for that range?

Mash out to denature i.e. turn off the enzymes, happens at 78, so maybe taking it from 75 to 65 might still convert the oats. I think you need the oats to be with the mashing grain. Not sure

Did you add the oats to the grain in wort or without the grain without wort?

Did you get your expected gravity?

Mmmmm. 66 for 20 min? Usually 60 min mash for that range?

Mash out to denature i.e. turn off the enzymes, happens at 78, so maybe taking it from 75 to 65 might still convert the oats. I think you need the oats to be with the mashing grain. Not sure

Did you add the oats to the grain in wort or without the grain without wort?

Sorry misprint - mashed for 60 mins. Yeah I added the oats on there own at 65 degrees for a further 60 mins

Sorry misprint - mashed for 60 mins. Yeah I added the oats on there own at 65 degrees for a further 60 mins

Oats have no diastatic power i.e. they can't covert their starches to fermentable sugar on their own. The only way to get their starches converted is to mash them with a diastatic malt such as pilsner or wheat.
So you have added some betaglucans, proteins and starches which will add mouthfeel, haze and some flavour, but no fermentables.

Oats have no diastatic power i.e. they can't covert their starches to fermentable sugar on their own. The only way to get their starches converted is to mash them with a diastatic malt such as pilsner or wheat.
So you have added some betaglucans, proteins and starches which will add mouthfeel, haze and some flavour, but no fermentables.

Thanks gingerbrew that's what I was hoping for. It is cubed now so see how it goes

so did you check your gravity when cubing?

it sounds like you will still get mostly what you intended to get.

Latest posts

Back