First Beersmith Recipe.. Your Thoughts?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mitchjazz

Reaction score
This is my first attempt at beersmith. What do you think of this recipe any suggestion. the ingrediants I have left over so I need to use it up.

Recipe: Jazz's Coopers Pale
Brewer: Mitchjazz
Asst Brewer:
Style: American IPA
TYPE: Extract
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 8.28 l
Post Boil Volume: 7.28 l
Batch Size (fermenter): 20.00 l
Bottling Volume: 18.49 l
Estimated OG: 1.051 SG
Estimated Color: 17.7 EBC
Estimated IBU: 47.7 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 0.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
1.70 kg Coopers Australian Pale Ale (6.7 EBC) Extract 2 50.0 %
0.45 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (118.2 EBC) Grain 1 13.2 %
30.00 g Cluster [7.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 13.9 IBUs
1.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) Yeast 7 -
20.00 g Cluster [7.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 6 1.8 IBUs
1.25 kg Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0.0 EBC) Sugar 3 36.8 %
30.00 g Cluster [7.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 5 10.7 IBUs

What are you aiming for?

450g of crystal seems way too much at first glance. I'd drop to 200-300 with that IBU. I'd also replace some of that sugar/dex (at least half) with the same amount (by fermentability, not volume) of dried malt extract.

How much do you like cluster?

Looks like a lot of Crystal to me at 13.2%. Maybe drop that down to about 250 gr?
Otherwise looks OK, although I haven't ever used Cluster hops, so can't comment on what they'll contribute to your brew.

Edit: Yeah, and what manticle said.

What are you aiming for?

450g of crystal seems way too much at first glance. I'd drop to 200-300 with that IBU. I'd also replace some of that sugar/dex (at least half) with the same amount (by fermentability, not volume) of dried malt extract.

How much do you like cluster?

I am going for an APA. I just checked thinking I have only cluster hops but i have 40g's of pride of ringwood and 50g's of cluster. I thought it was going to be much crystal but using beersmith it within the range aparently. Still think ill reduce it though. i dont have any dry malt extract?

That's a huge overload on Dex mate, drop that back to 300g and add dme as manticle suggests, with that much dex the brew will suffer as I suspect you would after a session on it,

Didn't know beersmith could be used with kits

That's a huge overload on Dex mate, drop that back to 300g and add dme as manticle suggests, with that much dex the brew will suffer as I suspect you would after a session on it,

Didn't know beersmith could be used with kits

yeah i downloaded a coopers add on from this site. I dont have any DME do you think reducing the the coopers brewing sugar to 1kg would be ok..
i know it not ideal?

I am going for an APA. I just checked thinking I have only cluster hops but i have 40g's of pride of ringwood and 50g's of cluster. I thought it was going to be much crystal but using beersmith it within the range aparently. Still think ill reduce it though. i dont have any dry malt extract?

you probably can get away with just dropping the dex to 250gm and not changing anthing else, though I agree with suggestions to drop the crystal by about half.

Other than that i would be using a lager or draught mix instead of the pale ale if possible with the cluster...not really gonna work with an APA.

Personally I wouldn't brew it, sorry you need more malt to ballence it, that much sugar will tend to thin it right out and the yeast are unlikey to be happy.

Can't help with the cluster either, havnt used them.

But hay, have a crack if you're not fussed by cidery beer.

What's the add on appear called? Link?

ok i will half the crystal and brewing sugar.. and see how it goes. im not to fussed as its left over stuff and its pissing rain today and fell like brewing.

iamozziyob heres the link...http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=60191&hl=coopers++beersmith

If you want to make an APA, I'd be going with something other than cluster or at least augmenting it with something a little more typical like cascade.

You are better off either waiting to get the right ingredients or using the coopers tin, some dex, 100g or less of the crystal and cluster to about 25-30 IBU (keep in mind the IBU of the tin) and reculturing some coopers yeast for an aussie pale ale.

If you want to make an APA, I'd be going with something other than cluster or at least augmenting it with something a little more typical like cascade.

You are better off either waiting to get the right ingredients or using the coopers tin, some dex, 100g or less of the crystal and cluster to about 25-30 IBU (keep in mind the IBU of the tin) and reculturing some coopers yeast for an aussie pale ale.

Cheers manticle... this is the first time using beersmith and for beer type i entered APA. The hops i have are not the correct hops for a pale ale but i was a little unsure of the type of beer i would be making with the Ingrediants I have... by the sounds of it I could be creating my own!

Cluster is a US hop. It just doesn't seem to be commonly associated with typical US pale ales. XXXX heavy uses cluster.

I've used it with PoR in a nice aussie pale with coopers yeast. US05 would probably work too (differently but still work). Bittering additions only, 35 IBU max (and probably closer to 30 or less). Still would avoid 1.25 kg of dex though.

so the revised plan now is to use 500g of dex/maltidex do a 15 min boil 30g cluster and at 5 min 30g cluster> I have the coopers yeast from the can should i use it insead of the Us-05?

No stick with the 05. Will make a good clean brew - just more in line with a basic summer refresher if you drop the hops to 30 IBU max and drop the crystal to 100g max. Can mix cluster and pride.

Coopers can is very different from coopers bottle. Can you keep the temp below 22 easily enough?

No stick with the 05. Will make a good clean brew - just more in line with a basic summer refresher if you drop the hops to 30 IBU max and drop the crystal to 100g max. Can mix cluster and pride.

Coopers can is very different from coopers bottle. Can you keep the temp below 22 easily enough?

Yeah i have a fermenting fridge with a tempmate hooked up so I can hold any temp.

Back