First Beer.....first Taste.......first Thoughts

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

einnebcj

Reaction score
Couldn't hold out any longer so after twelve days of being bottled I tasted my first attempt at BIAB all grain -DSMGA. So here's my thoughts.....
Positive
  • Golden Ale flavour was evident - especially in the initial taste
  • Hops are there and not overly bitter - something I was worried about after not being sure if I got my hop additions correct.
  • Clarity was great - especially as all I did was chill
  • Tasted good enough to make me want another!
Negative
  • It was a little under carbed and tasted a bit flat. Plenty of bubbles but flat to taste. This disappointed me the most.
  • Whilst the initial flavours were evident, the taste fell away quicker than I would have liked - not lingering
  • Had retention was poor. Not unexpected as the mash temp was lower than it should have been - ill have to insulate better on the next effort.
I'm wondering/hoping that e carbonation still may pick up? I also wonder/hope that the flavour may pick up a bit as it matures in the bottle further?
All in all - I'm happy....it's beer, it tastes a bucket load better than anything ice ever made out of a can but I'm pissed about the flatness...makes me think twice about passing it on to mates to try......
Onwards and upwards I guess!
Chris

Couldn't hold out any longer so after twelve days of being bottled I tasted my first attempt at BIAB all grain -DSMGA. So here's my thoughts.....
Positive
  • Hops are there and not overly bitter - something I was worried about after not being sure if I got my hop additions correct.
Negative
  • It was a little under carbed and tasted a bit flat. Plenty of bubbles but flat to taste. This disappointed me the most.
  • Whilst the initial flavours were evident, the taste fell away quicker than I would have liked - not lingering
  • Had retention was poor. Not unexpected as the mash temp was lower than it should have been - ill have to insulate better on the next effort.
I'm wondering/hoping that e carbonation still may pick up? I also wonder/hope that the flavour may pick up a bit as it matures in the bottle further?
All in all - I'm happy....it's beer, it tastes a bucket load better than anything ice ever made out of a can but I'm pissed about the flatness...makes me think twice about passing it on to mates to try......
Chris

Worry not mate, it will be a different beer in another few weeks.
How did you work out your carbonation rate?
If you have carbed correctly, carbonation will pick up in the next week & should really be fully carbonated in just a couple of weeks depending on the temperature of where you are storing them. Head retention will depend on your recipe & how you made your wort. If you simply did a single 90min infusion followed by a mash out, your head retention will be much better at week 4 than week 2. I tend to drink bottled beers no earlier than the 6 week mark.
Sounds as though it went well but just needs a bit more time to mellow.

Positive
Negative
Chris

12 days is not that long in the bottle.
Most likely there's a few sugars left to carb which will bring up the carbonation, help head retention and boost flavour :)
So all cons i assume will be sorted out.

Chris

I've now put down two batches of DSGA.

The second batch is all gone - couldn't drink it fast enough.

The first batch was under carbonated (bottle conditioned, I stuffed up the quantity of dex required), and by way of coincidence, I'm drinking it right now. The flavour is delicious, as good as the second batch: it's just a little flat.

If you are like me, you've stuffed up your carbonation calc but will end up enjoying it when your mates are not around.

Daniel

I had the same problem with my first few brews. If still no head are bottles are fully carbed/conditioned, try chucking 5% wheat... if that's not already part of the recipe.

Enter the recipe in BrewMate, hit the lock ingredients button, and reduce the volume until it becomes a 6.5% IPA.

Brew it again.

You're welcome. :D

Enter the recipe in BrewMate, hit the lock ingredients button, and reduce the volume until it becomes a 6.5% IPA.

Brew it again.

You're welcome. :D

Thank you Nick (just replying so that it is in my history and I remember tomorrow)

Thanks all. Looks like it'll be a wait and taste scenario.....

Back