First beer, bad foam.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anto_bt

Reaction score
Hello I am from Macedonia and I've made my first beer.

Taste is ok, color very good. But the problem is I have coca cola foam. It is making foam but very fast goes away.

I was doing Pale Ale with BIAB.

Any suggestion for next beer?

Thank you

How are you serving?
Recipe?
Mash schedule?
Conditioning/maturation time?

More details needed please.

If you mean serving beer in clean glass washed with water.

This is the recipe:
Pale Ale 4kg
Cara Ruby 1kg
Spelt 875gr
Cara Gold 310gr
HOP cascade 82.5 gr
yeast Safale US-05

Mashing 1h on 68 celsius
Boiling 1h

And how long has it been bottled?
Not the cause of your foam issue but that is an awfully high percentage of cara.

I have no idea what impact spelt has on foam proteins.

A short mash at 55 (5 mins) and a 10 min at 72 will contribute to good foam formation and lacing in a clean, rinsed glass.

There are other ways too but knowing everything about recipe and process helps us help you.

In the taste i can see that is high percent of Cara. Next time just a little bit. (first beer)

First 11 days fermentation and more then 30 days in the bottle.
Can you explain me a little bit about short mash? I am making mashing one our and after that on 55 (min) and 10 to 72?

Thank you very much for your help.

Start at 55, (short, high protein rest), raise to main rest (somewhere in the 60s for starch conversion) then raise to 72 for 10 minutes (glycoprotein rest).

Multi-step mash.

Also make sure glasses are super clean, well rinsed and your mouth/beard is also clean (if you have a beard)

Thank you very much for all information.

My glasses are washed in machine and afterwards cleaned again with clean water.

:beer:
Cheers

Put some carapils into your recipes, mate. I don't brew many recipes without 200-300 grams. Helps remarkedly with head retention.

AJS2154 said:
Put some carapils into your recipes, mate. I don't brew many recipes without 200-300 grams. Helps remarkedly with head retention.
I generally add a small amount of wheat malt to my recipes which also helps with head retention.

Don't wash your glasses in the machine. The rinse aid is a wetting agent, does somthing to the surface of the dishes to stop water leaving streaks and spots, worst thing out for head formation and stability.
I only use hot tap water to wash my glassware. And dry with clean paper towel, not the kitchen towel (unless it's straight out of cupboard)
Some wheat helps a lot.

Start at 55, (short, high protein rest), raise to main rest (somewhere in the 60s for starch conversion) then raise to 72 for 10 minutes (glycoprotein rest).

Multi-step mash.

Also make sure glasses are super clean, well rinsed and your mouth/beard is also clean (if you have a beard)

Due to work, I had a couple of months of not brewing. Got back into it a few weeks ago and tried to accelerate my processes and reduce my steps to the bare minimum. Delicious beer (a stout) but the difference in head formation and retention is unmistakeable.

Just a vote for the 55/72 bookend to a mash. The extra time is worth it.

Back