First Batch Failing?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fergi

Reaction score
hi guys well my first batch which is a coopers draught with added malt dextrose,corn syrup may be starting to fail.i cracked a bottle after 6 or 7 days and i thought it was really nice for such a short time in bottle.then i had another one in the fridge for a couple of days and opened that last nite it was still quite nice after 14 days though a touch cloudy still.so i thought i would have another one and went out to thre shed where i had them stored crabbed another bottle and stuck it in the freezer for about 90 mins.this one on opening had that slight hint of yeast flavour like what you get at the bottom of your bottle if you are not careful and tip it in to your glass.anyway i drank it but not as nice as the first bottle i had earlier that nite.this morning when i woke up i can taste a funny taste in my mouth ,not sure if its the yeast from that last bottle or not gargled ,brushed ,sinsed mouth etc but still a hint of that peppery yeast flavor in mouth and on tongue.hope this first batch is not starting to fail.i will try another tomorrow nite and i have already put it in the fridge to bring the temp down more slowly.they are still a bit hazy in the bottle and glass,probably fermented a touch high in temp as i had the electric heat pad under there and turned this on at times where the temps got up to about 26 deg,any way ill keep you all posted
cheers
fergi

Your beer is still young and "green," given time you should see an improvement. Being your first batch, I suggest you drink one a day for the next few weeks.

You have already picked a problem, the ferment temp. Next time, keep it around 20 deg C. Just move it around the house to different spots, one will suit.

Sanitation, temperature control, good ingredients, doesn't matter if you are doing your first brew or your 100th full mash, these are underlying issues that must be correct.

The morning after flavour, this is not a good beer tasting method. Go find a club and join up. You will find they will give you great advice, and there is nothing like standing around drinking homebrew with other brewers. If there is a specialty homebrewshop or supplier start shopping there.

If you post your location, another member may be able to suggest a club and a good shop near you.

He did. Hamley Bridge, SA (which is about 25km north of Gawler).
Maybe you can go to a brew meeting that GMK holds on occasion in Lyndoch.
There will be people there who can analyse your beer.

Thanks Bradmcm - i have invited Fergi to the next Barossa Brewers Club meeting.

I hope he is not too busy or intimidated to turn up..

as long as you dont "intimidate" him into buying gmk enterprise goods he should get on just fine in the brew world. ;)

cheers
big d B)

Thanks BigD

I know what you are Thinking....

GMK has no mates - only Customers... :D

What temp is the beer at in the shed? How long was the beer in primaty? cold conditioning?

Lower temperatures encourage the yeasties to drop, hence some cool storage in primary or a cube will mean a lot of yeast is left behind and there is only a layer of yeast in the bottle.

Jovial Monk

thanks for the replys guys
well its in my shed being stored at about 16 deg at nite up to 24 deg during the day.i am going to open another tonite with my bbq and hope that it is alright,bradmcm how did you know where hamley is,i assume you are not in australia by your location,andjovial i havent got any details yet as to when your meeting is but that may be in an email or a prvt message somwhere so ill have a look
cheers
fergi

Latest posts

Back