First Batch And It Is Going Wrong

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfkal

Reaction score
Got my first batch going and am a bit puzzled that it is still bubbling after 10 days.
Rate is very slow though. I am using a standard 30 l vessel with airlock. After first day I got 14 burps per minute and am down now to 5 burps per minute for a couple of days already and it just goes on and on. Garivity is now 1.010 Temp 24 degrees. Change in temperature has no effect on rate. I feel it started out too slow and keeps on going too long. Any ideas?
:angry:

jfkal,

Welcome to AHB.

As to your first brew, welcome to the wonderful world of brewing your own beer.

A few questions.
Has the temp been 24 deg C the entire time ?

What are the details of the brew. Kit plus other ingredients ?

What yeast did you use ? Kit yeast ?

Has the gravity been at 1.010 for the last couple of days ?

Sorry can't be much more help without more details.

Give us some more info and all the guys here can help you out.

Welcome again, and Beers,
Doc

Doc,

sorry for not giving more details B) .

Has the temp been 24 deg C the entire time ? Between 22-25 but mostely 24

What are the details of the brew. Kit plus other ingredients ?
Australian Kit Type Pilsner 1 kg pure Dextrose added.

What yeast did you use ? Kit yeast ? Yep. Kit yeast (Slightly beyond expiry date but kept in the fridge all the time)

Has the gravity been at 1.010 for the last couple of days ?
Hmm tough one I checked only yesterday.

Sorry can't be much more help without more details.

Maybe just some general observations? i.e. example of a good batch:
a, Bubble rate per minute.
b, Is ten days definately too long or is there hope?
c, How should it taste at this stage?

BTW Yeast has settled at the bottom 1/2 inch but the wort is still milky.

Give us some more info and all the guys here can help you out.

Welcome again, and Beers,

if the gravity doesnt change.....its finished

My advice..... rack it...... and keep on checking the gravity :D

Im no expert jfkal but I agree with wedge rack your brew into a secondary fermentor and leave it to sit there for a good couple of weeks. Then bottle or keg as normal

One of my early brews did exactly as yours is and went on and on but once racked and bottled was fine

Hope this works for you good luck

VNTHB

before racking, open the lid, and stir all the yeast back up into the beer

1010 you still have a few points to go with a k=k brew

Next time, use a proper yeast and aerate the wort and use malt not, yech!, dextrose

Jovial Monk

To answer your other questions:

No long fermentation doesnt mean your batch is ruined.

10 days and still bubbling is not typical but doesnt indicate anything is wrong and is not unheard of. Kit yeasts at 24 degrees typically ferment in 5 to 7 days, but it can go slower and there are other yeasts around that take several weeks.

Bubble rate doesnt really mean a lot. Depends on so many different factors. Can be about 2 bubbles per second at peak fermentation, can slow to 1 bubble per several minutes at end.

The yeast sediment at the bottom is normal.

The only thing is that at warmish temperatures (24 is quite warm for fermentation) you should try not to have the beer in contact with the yeast sediment for too long. So it would be best to transfer it to another fermenter as suggested above, or at least get it to finish and bottle it if you dont have something to transfer it to. Depending on the volume you made it up to, normally you would expect a brew made with dextrose to finish lower than 1.010. As advised above, measure the gravity each day to see if it is dropping.

Good luck and post more questions if you need to understand the various responses.

Thanks Guys for all the advice. Did the stirring and it came back to more bubbles again. Still bubbling. Shall wait see and bottle. Will keep you posted. Gravity is still coming down slowly.

Just some advice on an all malt brew.

Some yeasts will struggle getting thru an all malt brew. I suggest using a liquid yeast of some sort to cope with the malt quanties.

Coopers and morgans seem to be pretty good but i would buy another type

I wouldn't say some yeasts strugle through all malt brews. I would say the couple of grams of those yeasts struggle through brews purely because of the miserly amounts of those yeasts provided.

Latest posts

Back