First Aussie Ag Biab.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scruffy

Ahh Glasshopper
Reaction score
I've done a couple of AG in blighty, my mates and I clubbed together to buy a three tier system (from Brewtree) - we used to rotate it as and when (a two day weekend is nowhere near long enough!), anyway I digress - budget constraints and impatience drew me to your BIAB method... and here it is part way through the second brew of the day!!!...

Brew.jpg

Started about 10 in the morning, this is the second brew... I had about 4KG of Marris Otter left (and loads of Styrian) and bits, she was at her sisters and I'd had a couple of snifters and thought f*** it...

Yes it boiled over (a tiny bit), and I boiled for a gnats too long on the second - but got a higher gravity - imagine that ... :rolleyes: !! And I fanny'd about so much it went dark...

They already smell and taste the dogs bollox...

Thanks for everyone's help and support,

Scruff ...x

G'day scruff!

I love your improvised bag hanging system. Best one ive seen so far that would fit in my shoebox that I call a home.

I originally had a 2 meter square sheet, I had intended to knot each corner (like the quintessential Englishman on the beach... Knotted_Hanky_Man.jpg) then thread the broom handles through that to lift, but they were selling Grommets at Bunnings and thought they might work/look better...

You can be wrong sometimes!!

Looks great Scruff! Well done. I'll be looking forward to trying the house ales very soon.

Soooo does the little lady of the house know your using her dining room chairs as part of your brew rig or are you hoping you'll be done and dusted before she will ever know? :lol:

BTW what did you brew?

Cheers

Chappo

Chappo,

3kg Maris Otter
3kg Golden Promise
Caraaroma
Caramalt - can't remember the amounts without Brewsmith!!
I also chucked in about 200g of chocolate, to see if it would go a bit darker (it is winter!!).
S-04
Styrian, 90
Styrian, Amarillo, 60
Styrian, 30
Goldings, 5
Fuggles in Secondary - but I'm not there yet

I might have mislaid my timer (mobile) and boiled too long, I hit 1066 so we'll see!!

But mate, the taste!!

I had some leftovers so I did a second brew...

It had allsorts - LDM, corn sugar, maltodextrine, dextrose, Half a tin of something, the rest of the grain and an old bag of POR that looked a bit anaemic. It's in a cube waiting to sit on the first brew's yeast cake.

Oh yeah, I found the phone in the fridge (in the box next to my hops and yeasts) - i was only slightly wiffy...

She'll never know about the chairs, I mean, it's not like i've posted it all over the interne...

...ahhh, rats!

And yes, unless it tastes like embalming fluid, you will be supping it...

noice work - see... anyone who says they cant do it because there is nothing to hang their BIAB bag from has no imagination at all.

Hope its great - it will be.

TB

I agree TB any aussie that cant hang their full sack somewhere doesn't deserve to brew
Well done on the first Pommie BIAB.

Good on ya for getting into it with what you got, another good example of why it's not real hard to get into AG. :beerbang: My first AG was on the kitchen stove top jammed under the range-hood... what a lot of fun. Boil-overs... whats a brew day without a spill of some kind, eh Chappo? Yeah I've got the goods on you.
I reckon with a few more of those chairs you could build a brewtree. :ph34r: Just don't post the picks all over the internet for SWMBO anyone to see. :lol:

Cheers
Gavo.

Back