First attempt IPA with mini mash suggestions and hop schedule?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheBigD

Reaction score
Well gents,

Its time to take another step as I've had a few excellent all extract brews to date and now I want to have play with a small mini mash to dip my toe in so to speak.

This is what I'm planning so far a nice amber American IPA in the 40-50IBU range, nothing outrageous

28L brew 6-7% ABV

3kg of amber malt extract
1.5kg of light malt extract
300g medium crystal
1kg of Maris Otter 60min mash in a 15l Esky and strained into my 9l pot for a boil (how much water should I be mashing in Etc.)
.5kg of DME

Id really appreciate some proven hop schedule ideas with my current stock below

60 grams of Nelson Sav
60 grams of Chinook
60 grams of Amarillo
50 grams of centennial
50 grams of Saaz
50 grams of Hallertau
50 grams of EKG

fermented with Notto because its a beast

Do you have software? If not, its a $30 investment that will give you a leap forward in home brewing.
That seems like a LOT of malt and a LOT of hops. All depending how you use them of course.
That's where the software is awesome you can shuffle it all about and see the instant calculated results. Take out the guess work.
Some old school purists may call it cheating but bahhh. I'd be in a world of confusion without it.
Its gonna be a full body beer I'd bet.

For the mashing and my rough rule of thumb has been a minimum 3 litres of water per 1kg of grain. For hop schedule and I have had a couple of successful ones with IPA's. This is my most recent.

25 g - Fuggles, Type: Pellet, AA: 4.5, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 5.83
25 g - Amarillo, Type: Pellet, AA: 8.6, Use: Boil for 30 min, IBU: 8.56
25 g - Sorachi Ace, Type: Pellet, AA: 11.1, Use: Boil for 30 min, IBU: 11.05
20 g - Simcoe, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.7, Use: Boil for 30 min, IBU: 10.12
10 g - Amarillo, Type: Pellet, AA: 8.6, Use: Boil for 0 min
20 g - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 11, Use: Boil for 0 min
10 g - Sorachi Ace, Type: Pellet, AA: 11.1, Use: Boil for 0 min

@Banscraftbeer Its a 28l brew with 6-7 % calculated roughly on IanHs spread sheet and the hops are what I have in stock not a schedule

Im looking for combinations the hops I already have in my freezer of which Ive listed, thanks Killer Brew

Amarillo, Centennial and Chinook play pretty well together. Of the 3, Centennial is the only one that I'd use for bittering, the other 2 are better as aroma and flavour additions from 30 minutes of the boil left onwards. I've used EKG as the bittering hops with US hops late in the boil / in the cube and liked it. So personally I'd add EKG at 60 min to about 15 IBU, then any or all of Amarillo, Centennial and Chinook late for the remainder.

Oh Chinook how I love you.
I have been using that for bittering lately as it was the highest AA hop on hand. Been throwing it in FWH and oh what a smell.
I'd go 25g Centennial at 60. Then chinook amarillo centennial whirlpool for 20 minutes to get your ibus then the rest of those dry.

indica86 said:
Oh Chinook how I love you.
I have been using that for bittering lately as it was the highest AA hop on hand. Been throwing it in FWH and oh what a smell.
I'd go 25g Centennial at 60. Then chinook amarillo centennial whirlpool for 20 minutes to get your ibus then the rest of those dry.
That sounds pretty tasty...

:icon_drool2:

I finally got around to brewing this one and its looking and tasting great considering it was a mad rush brew like all my extract brews me being time limited and surrounded by tin lids its usually chaos.

Im very happy how the mini mash went and its already got me thing about purchasing an urn

Ended up with the following hop schedule

EKG 60mins

Chinook,Amarillo,Centenial 20 grams each at 30 mims

Chinook, Amarillo, 20 grams each at 15 mims

Im yet to dry hop but thinking probably some Amarillo and the leftovers of some Citra that's been in the fridge

Latest posts

Back