First Alteration to a Kit.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slcmorro

87 Warning Points. Bad Boy!
Reaction score
I just put a new batch in my fermenter.

Amber Ale goop, from my LHBS. Added some Saaz Hops and the zest of one orange. I'm using Dextrose with Malt also.
It's currently sitting in the fermenter at 24c (I tried to get it cold but just couldn't) and is gunna happily sit there for a good 2 weeks I hope.

Should taste loooooooovely. Or that's the thought anyways.
Wish me luck!

You're in Ballarat - cold should be no problem. Boil, cover and refrigerate 10 L of water overnight the night before you mix up the kit and use that for part of your water.

I'm interested to see how the orange zest turns out. I boiled it with 4L of water for 5 mins before adding that at the DME to the fermenter along with the goop. I'm guessing/hoping it'll just settle down with the yeast cake, and the zest of just one orange releasing the citrus oil will be quite subtle, in 23L of beer.

So did the zest actually go in to the fermenter? Or is the 'flavour' in the water that you boiled it in and then added?

Ken

I'm about to try a wheat beer with zest and wasn't sure if the zest goes in the fermenter too!
Let us know how your brew turns out! Sounds good!

Velcro, I don't put the peel in the FV. I always strain the wort after the boil on a wit as I was lead to believe that the peel will develope unpleasant flavours. Can any one confirm this? I always use dried tangerine peel.

The peel/zest should be fine to go in, just make sure you don't get any of the white pith (remove it first)

I did an extract brew a while ago which I put 15g of orange peel zest into the fermenter...................... tipped it down the sink. It's the stand out worst beer I've ever made.

Next time I will boil the zest for a pre determined time eg. 20minutes and then remove the zest before adding the liquid to the fermenter.

Edit: I also added 15g of crushed coriander seed directly into the fermenter, the combination of the 2 was too overpowering.

Black Devil Dog said:
I did an extract brew a while ago which I put 15g of orange peel zest into the fermenter...................... tipped it down the sink. It's the stand out worst beer I've ever made.

Next time I will boil the zest for a pre determined time eg. 20minutes and then remove the zest before adding the liquid to the fermenter.

Edit: I also added 15g of crushed coriander seed directly into the fermenter, the combination of the 2 was too overpowering.
Thanks lads. That's all I need to know! I will be boiling both those suckers and straining into the fermenter. Looking forward to trying it out!

Nooooooooo. I hope my beer doesn't turn out poo since the rind actually went in with it too. I've got high hopes for this one!

It's bottled now. It fermented out rather quickly and I was surprised, but it was quite clear too. Perhaps the orange zest helped fine it up a little?

Anyways, once I'd filled by 30 tallies, there was still about 2 more worth of beer left, but because I am lazy, I left it in the fermenter and I'll clean it all out in a day or so. Funny thing is, I stirred the yeast up and couldn't find a single trace of the orange zest. There is however, a nice scummy ring where the krausen finished, which I suspect is a lot of the zest.

Keen to taste in a month or so! :D (Tasted good when I was bottling)

I'll probably do it tomorrow morning in all honesty. 11am start, so there's no excuses really!

So I think I might have made an error when bulk priming for bottling. I have this app on my phone (Android) called HomeBrew Calculator. Pretty nifty, but I ̶s̶t̶u̶p̶i̶d̶l̶y̶ accidently presumed that two columns in particular (DME and Sucrose) equalled the third, and therefore put in 233gm of dextrose instead of around 600gms as I now realise it should be.

Will this be a huge problem? Should I essentially leave them to condition for 3 times the planned minimum before drinking? Will they be flat? Can I FIX THIIIIS!?!?! :p

How many litres have you got 233g of dextrose is an awful lot if you have 23L. I don't think much of bulk priming calculators and just use between 150 and 160g of priming sugar for my 23L batches.

I think you may have bottle bombs there hope you bottled in PET not glass.

Wow man, as Tropical said thats alot.
Good thing you didnt put in 600g as you said maybe you thought you should !!!!

600g = BOOOOOM !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Latest posts

Back