First All Grain

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

podon

Reaction score
Hey All,

Planning our first all grain for next weekend. Equipment's ready to go and we're about to buy the ingredients.

Question,

Whats the best way to calculate mash & sparge water volumes? We've loaded up BeerSmith but are struggling as its our first AG.

Mash tun: 71L
Boil Pot: 36L

Looking to end up with a final batch size of 23L. Typically when we've done Extract the original Boil volume was ~27L (lost 4L to evaporation).
Aiming for 5.5% ABV.

Deadspace: 7.3L

What would you recommend for the following:
Mash Vol: ??L
1st Sparge: ??L
2nd SpargeL ??L

Any suggestions/advice is greatly appreciated!

Cheers.

Hey All,

Planning our first all grain for next weekend. Equipment's ready to go and we're about to buy the ingredients.

Question,

Whats the best way to calculate mash & sparge water volumes? We've loaded up BeerSmith but are struggling as its our first AG.

Mash tun: 71L
Boil Pot: 36L

Looking to end up with a final batch size of 23L. Typically when we've done Extract the original Boil volume was ~27L (lost 4L to evaporation).
Aiming for 5.5% ABV.

Deadspace: 7.3L

What would you recommend for the following:
Mash Vol: approx 12 litres of water for 4.5kg grain
1st Sparge: 10 litres
2nd SpargeL 10-12 litres

pre-boil volume of 28 litres

post boil volume of 24 litres (-1 litre to losses to trub/transferring and contraction of liquid)

Any suggestions/advice is greatly appreciated!

Cheers.

Good Luck

Muscovy

Hi ;

1. Mash volume around 2.5 to 3.0 Lt per Kilo

2. 1st sparge 1/2 of what is needed to fill your boil pot to around 33Lts.

3 2nd sparge the rest to bring your volume up to boil volume so that when you have finished your boil you will end up with 23 lt in the fermenter .

If you have that much dead space I would look at a boil volume of 35 lt .
So at say 2.5 lt per kilo @ 5 kg I would mash in with 12 - 13 lt of water . Less soakage of 1lt per kilo = 5 lt - initial mash volume = 7lt , so you will need 28lt of sparge water of 2 = sparging of 14lt to achieve a boil volume of 35lt .

This also depends on your evaperation rate from the boil . If you lose say 5lt per hour and 2lt to dead space you will end up with 26lt in the fermenter . So you would use less sparge water say a total of 23lt of sparge water plus your 7lt of mash water = a total of 30lt to achieve an end volume of 23lt into the fermenter.

Wicked!

Thanks for the reply guys.

I'll post pics when we brew :D

Wicked!

Thanks for the reply guys.

I'll post pics when we brew :D

Good luck with this weekend, I did my first AG last weekend, I did BIAB and all went smoothly.

Most of all enjoy yourself, I did.

Back