First All Grain Photos

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SJW

As you must brew, so you must drink
Reaction score
#14 OATMEAL STOUT
Brew Type: All Grain Date: 31/08/2004
Style: Oatmeal Stout Brewer: STEVE WRIGHT
Batch Size: 25.00 L Assistant Brewer:
Boil Volume: 29.72 L Boil Time: 60 min
Equipment: BIG TEDS KEG Brewhouse Efficiency: 80.0 %
Taste Rating (50 possible points): 0.0

Ingredients Amount Item Type % or IBU
3500.00 gm Pale Malt (2 Row) US (4 EBC) Grain 56.5 %
1000.00 gm Vienna Malt (7 EBC) Grain 16.1 %
500.00 gm Oats, Flaked (2 EBC) Grain 8.1 %
400.00 gm Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (250 EBC) Grain 6.5 %
300.00 gm Chocolate Malt (887 EBC) Grain 4.8 %
300.00 gm Roasted Barley (1900 EBC) Grain 4.8 %
100.00 gm Black (Patent) Malt (985 EBC) Grain 1.6 %
100.00 gm Wheat Malt, Dark (18 EBC) Grain 1.6 %
36.00 gm Target [10.8%] (60 min) Hops 36.0 IBU
1 Pkgs SafAle English Ale (DCL Yeast #S-04) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile Estimated Original Gravity: 1.059 SG (1.035-1.060 SG) Measured Original Gravity: 1.059 SG
Estimated Final Gravity: 1.015 SG (1.010-1.018 SG) Measured Final Gravity: 0.000 SG
Estimated Color: 103 EBC (69-394 EBC) Color [Color]
Bitterness: 36.0 IBU (20.0-50.0 IBU) Alpha Acid Units: 2.1 AAU
Estimated Alcohol by Volume: 5.7 % (3.3-6.0 %) Actual Alcohol by Volume: 0.0 %
Actual Calories per 12 oz: 0 cal

Mash Profile Name: Single Infusion, Medium Body Mash Tun Weight: 0.00 gm
Mash Grain Weight: 6200.00 gm Mash PH: 5.4 PH
Grain Temperature: 15.0 C Sparge Temperature: 75.6 C
Sparge Water: 10.70 L Adjust Temp for Equipment: No

Name Description Step Temp Step Time
Mash In Add 16.17 L of water at 75.5 C 67.8 C 60 min
Mash Out Add 9.05 L of water at 91.5 C 75.6 C 10 min

Above is the recipe for my first AG. Everything went great. The mash & sparge was tops thanks to ANDREWQLD for the braided hose idea. Check em out.

The biggest drama was i had 30 litres to boil with and the plan was to end up with 25 litres but all i ended up with was 21 litres in the fermenter. Does that sound right? anyway

DCP00814.JPG

Hot break. With the new hp reg & burner i had a rolling boil in 15 min's

DCP00816.JPG

New chiller worked a treat, down to 30 deg C in 20 min's

DCP00819.JPG

thanks ANDREWQLD again, No stuck sparge even with 500g Oatmeal. Only had to run of 1 litre then ran clear

DCP00799.JPG

The little chiller

DCP00820.JPG

Burner & reg, and thats it. Next time i will aim for a pre boil of 35 litres to end up with 25 litres, as it was a pretty wild boil, and i did not allow for slops in the bottom of the keg, but a great day was had anyway, and thanks to all u blokes who without you i would still be doing a cooper + a kg.

DCP00802.JPG

I hope it tastes better than your coopers + kg!

LEt us all know how it turns out.

dreamboat

Looks great SJW, and I bet that will be the best beer you have ever drunk.
I have had my oatmeal stout on tap for a month and it is sooo creamy. @ 5.9% alc. I have to sip this one nice and slow

What type of losses do you guys have with your boiling, cooling & trub losses. Is 8 litres too much, as i dont know where the hell it went?

SJW said:
What type of losses do you guys have with your boiling, cooling & trub losses. Is 8 litres too much, as i dont know where the hell it went?
I lose 10% volume per hour due to evaporation + on a normal brew around 1.5 litres due to trub.
On a super Imperial beer I lose about 2-2.5 litres due to the extra hop trub.

Beers,
Doc

SJW said:
Burner & reg, and thats it.
Hi SJW your brew looks great there is hope for me yet!!

I have one of those burners as well but have never been able to get it to run all that well. What pressure are you using or is your regulator fixed? also how much of the air slots do you have open along the sides?

Cheers

Good work SJW, looks like you have a very similar setup to me.
I also have the same burner however it struggles to get the wort to a good rolling boil but I only have a standard reg. Sounds like I need to get a new reg!

Well done SJ!

I ended up with less in my fermenter than expected first time as well. I adjusted my boil off rate up to 10%, and recalculated my losses to trub and to dead space in the tun and came out within 250mls second time round. I know you use beersmith and it makes it really easy to adjust these settings so you'll be spot on next time.

Top Darts!

Shawn.

HOOPS & AUSDB, The burner is tops but you do need the adjustable hp reg. i tried it with the bbq std. reg and is was crap. So i went to my local gas supply shop and got and adjustable reg for about $35. And i use it on the lowest setting.

Hi Steve
Through my experiance you only need a good rolling boil. My evaperation is around 10% for a 90 min boil.
If you can control the gas flow with your burner you will get this nice rolling boil and save on gas as well.
With experiance you will get it right and you will not have to top the beer up with water to get the OG you are after.
Your set-up looks good and at the end of the day your first AG will be the best beer you have ever had.
Cheers
Ray

Back