First All Grain Brew BIAB (Robust Porter) c/o Beersmith.com

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shama

Reaction score
G'day everyone,

I have finally taken the leap into all grain brewing and I have to say, it was well worth the effort! I got the recipe from Beersmith.com and adjusted the grain bill and volume down to suit my 9Litre pot.

Grain:
Pale malt, Traditional Ale - 1197gm
Munich, Light - 513gm
Amber malt - 171gm
Chocolate malt - 171gm
Crystal - 85.5gm
Roasted Malt - 18gm

Grain Bill total weight =2,155.5gm

Hops:
Fuggles (90min.) 13.5gm
Goldings (60min.) 9.9gm
Fuggles (15min.) 5.4gm
Goldings (5min.) 5.4gm

Adjuncts:
Whirlfloc tablet (15min.) 1/3 tablet
1 packet Safale English Ale #S-04

The cash outlay was pretty reasonable and if I remember correctly it was around $60-70. This is what that got me:

upload1.jpg

Time to crack the grain, Blender worked well! Grain temp was 21degC

upload2.jpg

Mash in @ 73.6degC strike temp to get a mash in target temp of around 67degC

upload3.jpg

Wrap that ******* in as many clean towels as possible and piss off the housemates (to maintain mash temp for 60min.)

upload4.jpg

Rehydrate the yeast with some warm tap water and table sugar

upload5.jpg

I read that if you want to check if the conversion from starch to sugar has taken place you can do an iodine test. I didn't have any iodine so Betadine it was. Don't think this is necessary whatsoever, I was just trying to be a scientist.

upload6.jpg

Once the mash is done it's time for the boil 90min. (see above for hop and Whirlfloc times). It was smelling unreal at this stage. The whole house smelt like Coco Pops. Maaaad.

upload7.jpg

After the boil I covered the opening in Glad Wrap and popped the lid back on. Into the bath it went with two bags of ice from the servo and a pedestal fan blowing directly on it. I just left it until the morning and used a funnel to transfer/aerate it into the demijohns. Pitched the yeast into the wort which was around 15 degC at that stage and plugged her up. It sat at a stable temp of around 15-17degC for two weeks. The OG was around 1.067 and FG was about 1.015.

upload.jpg

Bottled for another 2-3 weeks and boy did it taste good. I bought a bottle of JS porter to compare and I know I am biased but mine tasted comparable if not richer and fuller.

Cheers,

Shama

Latest posts

Back