First Ag Tomorrow, Any Tips?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mitysa

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm planning this as my first AG, any advise or mistakes in recipe

Original Gravity (OG): 1.040 (P): 10.0
Final Gravity (FG): 1.008 (P): 2.1
Alcohol (ABV): 4.22 %
Colour (SRM): 2.9 (EBC): 5.8
Bitterness (IBU): 19.9 (Average - No Chill Adjusted)

77.79% Pilsner
11.11% Sugar
11.11% Wheat Malt

0.7 g/L Pride of Ringwood (9.9% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 66C for 60 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes

Fermented at 18C with US05

Mike

with pilsner malt you should boil for 90 minutes to drive off d.m.s which has a cooked cabbage flavor.

Looks the goods, for a plain, no-nonsense beer. Sugar will keep it lighter in body, and the wheat will aid the head retention. Personally I would use a fistful of crystal, but I can see where youre going with this, so it will work out fine.

Good to see that you are leaving the POR where it belongs - at 60 minutes. Don't get the urge too add it later, or god forbid, as a dry hopping.

All the best with your maiden voyage

with pilsner malt you should boil for 90 minutes to drive off d.m.s which has a cooked cabbage flavor.

Most people would say with modern malts this isn't necessary.

Hi,

77.79% Pilsner
11.11% Sugar (this)
11.11% Wheat Malt

Mike

I would try to do a all AG brew if you can! w Also dont adjust the 60min addition for no chill as it wont matter a difference you only adjust late additions (after 20mins to go).

You didnt say your method your using so tips and other info is hard to give.

If you want a thinner beer drop the sugar and drop the mash your at 66deg now go to 64-65 I never mashed under 65 and its plenty thin for me.

edit: oh when you drop the sugar sub it with grain but keep the 10% or so in wheat will always help. If its all milled and ready to go do the brew and brew another with all malt and little lower mash temp and see the difference

Hi,

77.79% Pilsner
11.11% Sugar
11.11% Wheat Malt

Mike

I'd ditch the sugar and add some Crystal malts of some sort. Still it'll taste like beer. :icon_cheers:

Most people would say with modern malts this isn't necessary.

if you check 6 sources you get 15 answers so i boil any brew with a large pilsner component for 90 minutes just to be on the safe side.

Hi,

Thanks all so far.
I'll be using 3v system, urn(Hlt), 36ltr esky(tun), keg as boiler.
No chill in cube

As to a long or longer boil, modern malts or otherwise...DMS gets a bit over-rated, if you do have DMS then the most likely causes are: not having a rolling boil, covering your boil, not chilling quickly and boiling for only 60 minutes.
No chillers seem to have no problem with DMS (read either way).
DMS is variously described as cooked cabbage or canned corn, two very different smell sensations.
DMS certainly exists in beer, the problem is more often the correct identification of DMS, as is often the case a beer has multiple characteristics.

K

If you've got temp control, why not use a lager yeast? Recipe seems more like an Aussie lager of sorts than an ale.

I strongly suggest not to do a lager as your first beer as it will show the floors if any, DMS isnts a big issue now days as long as you get 10%+ boil off you should be fine (i get about 12% as a wide pot over 60mins on a slow simmer).

I just suggest to take your time and make sure you have a list of processes near you. Good choice to do a single mash temp for the first go simple work out your process and work on it. I found BIAB harder then 3v for me prob coz I made it harder lol but that was from really bad efficiency issues and trying to improve.

I get heaps clearer wort in the kettle and heaps better efficiency and it takes me 45 mins longer at the most with a mash in, sach rest and mash out and I get twice the volume so I cant complain, People love BIAB yeah its good to start but big batches and all that isnt the easiest in it and the time to do double the wort is like 15% more time

I've never had to do a D rest for s189 or 34/70 and never had any DMS come through, despite 60 minute boils, not even in 100% pilsner grists. The process of making a lager with dried yeasts really seems no harder than an ale to me. In any case, us05 at 17-18 produces rather crisp beers, so its not a big deal.

I agree with the other blokes.

Boil for 90 mins (you'll probably need that long to boil off the extra water component)

Ferment @ 12 or 15 degC. pislner style will taste better if fermented at one of those temps for three weeks min. then do the usual finings, and then drop to 4degC in the fridge for 1-2 days to get the extra clarity you'll be looking for.

Then transfer to Keg - only way to drink your own brew.

Pretty good recipe for your first AG attempt! My first was straight up, BB Ale Malt (4.5kg) & 1kg gluggy boiled Rice! US05 @12 for 3 weeks, tasted bloody good to me at the time, still enjoy the simplicity of that one every once and a while.

Post some pics and let us know how you get on.

Cheers!

Finally got to brew today

Original Gravity (OG): 1.041 (P): 10.2
Final Gravity (FG): 1.010 (P): 2.6
Alcohol (ABV): 4.03 %
Colour (SRM): 3.0 (EBC): 5.9
Bitterness (IBU): 19.4 (Average - No Chill Adjusted)

89.47% Pilsner
10.53% Wheat Malt

Single step Infusion at 66C for 60 Minutes. Boil for 90 Minutes

Fermented at 18C with Safale US-05

Notes: Mash temp 66 / lossed 3deg over hr

1.039 pre boil temp adjusted

90 min boil
60 min hop addition

Started @9.30am, pre heated hlt before taking kiddies to school, temp reading 72deg

Mashed in, overshot temp by 4deg, added cooled water to resettle temp at 66deg, over the hour lossed 3deg.

Transferred to kettle after recirc to get clear wort, sparged to reach 77deg again overshot temp, again cooled water to adjust, recirc again, transferred second running to kettle.

90 min boil, single hop addition 60min, brewbrite @ flame out. Whirlpool, then to cube

Seemed to go really well, no massive problems on the journey

Did forget to get post boil OG

Picture_1075.jpg

Mashed in, overshot temp by 4deg, added cooled water to resettle temp at 66deg, over the hour lossed 3deg.

I use a Besser block on the lid of the Tun (same type) and showed an improvement in heat loss - the heat inside slightly lifts the lid....

Ferment this with a Kolsch yeast @ 15-18 degrees mate. It would turn out nice and dry, great for a first beer. US-05 is easy as well hope it turns out great! good luck.

Hi

It's a 20 ltr cube

Moved to fermenter tonight 19ltr in, so fell short by 1ltr from original receipe, but measured 1.042. Hit close enough to target.

Will ferment with us 05, fridge playing up so can't get down to low enough temps to use lager yeast. Hopefully still comes out alright

Mike

Back