First Ag Session Completed!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmyjack

Reaction score
Well i have completed my first batch of ag. I thought for my first ag beer i should try somthing simple so i did the first recipe of skuk fart pale ale, instead of cascade substituted amarillo provided by GMK thanx GMK. Anyhu the only real hick ups were

1 forgetting to recirculate the mash after the sparge, caught it just in time though

2 no ball valve on my boil kettle so I had to siphon, I left about 1.5 good litres in brew pot. That stuffed my final volume from 23 to 21.5 and gravity was 50 instead of 55.

3 had to suck to get siphon started hope i didnt hurt the beer.

4 it was frakin 35 today in brissy

it was all pretty fun , thanx to everyones advice on the forum

Well done, welcome to the dark side.

You'll find it gets easier every time you do it. My first few goes felt like I was running around with my head cut off now I spend more time playing pool and watching TV then brewing (while brewing of course)..

Happy Days Ahead...

sounds like everything went pretty much fine, getting 21 or so litres into the fermentor is proberly more than many first timers get. Leaving 1.5 litres behind i wouldn't say is any drama. If the boil finished at 23 litres than you'd want to allow a couple litres of the trub remaining in the kettle anyway and would only expect to collect around 20-21litres. I do 25litre batch size this allows me to lose up to five litres to the bottom of the kettle and still get 20 litres into the fermentor, although i only ussually loose a couple litres and end up with 22-23 litres into the fermentor.
The siphon start with the mouth of course wouldn't be recommened for the obvious reasons but iam sure it will be fine, i have done it before without any ill effects.

If anything it sounds like the 35c is the worst you have to worry about, god damn.

Enjoy
Jayse

Congrats Jimmyjack. Hope the brew turns out a winner :)

Shawn.

thanx jayse for that great recipe. I feel reassured now after your post. I really need to get a ball valve on my boiler. The wort tastes great, best yet. I cant wait to do my next batch. I have ther fermenter in the sink now in front of the AC i hope the california 051 take off like rocket before ther germs take hold!

Welldone JimmyJack....

Glad the hops came in handy - that was teh first All Grain recipe I did - i was lucky enough to have Jayse on hand - but i did mine infront of 12 people though....a bit scary....

Was a great day - there are some pics on the site - it does get easier the more you do.

Well done Jimmyjack - Great to see another local into AG brewing - Have you got yourself into a brew club yet?

cheers Ross

No i havent would like to though. Whats available in Brissy?

Congrats jimmyjack

forgetting to recirculate the mash after the sparge, caught it just in time though

I did the same thing with my first AG.

35 today, this summer is gonna be a stinker, will have to stock up :chug:

jimmyjack said:
No i havent would like to though. Whats available in Brissy?
[post="81569"][/post]​

Jimmyjack,

I'm a member of Brisbane Craft Brewers (BCB) which is a social club as much as a brew club & we take turns of hosting the monthly club meetings. More serious ones around like BABBS, but out little club walked away with the Champion club, Novice & Brewer @ this years State champs, so we must be doing something right :D .
We have members up round your way, so if interested drop us a line...

Cheers Ross...

Sounds like a great club. I am going to get a few more batches under my belt before i humble myself amongst seasoned pros. But would love to come along to view an ag session.

jimmyjack said:
Sounds like a great club. I am going to get a few more batches under my belt before i humble myself amongst seasoned pros. But would love to come along to view an ag session.
[post="81574"][/post]​

JJ - We got all standards of brewers & some who just drink, so don't be intimidated...
If you can make brew days during the week, then you're more than welcome to one of mine anytime, normally brewing once or twice a week...

My first AG turned out shit but I after that it all started to fall into place. Half the work is getting to know how your set up will behave. I'm now attempting to double my output from 23lt batches to 46lt.

Latest posts

Back