First Ag Recipes

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Samuel Adams

Reaction score
I'm getting a 40L URN tomorrow hopefully and will be BIABing

Ok I'm reasearched out, I've come up with some simple recipes for my first few AG's
What do you think ?

Pale Ale

5kg ale perle malt
500g wheat (BB)
250g pale crystal
Some US hops
US05 yeast

Lager

3kg pilsner (BB)
2kg munich (bairds)
500g carapils
hallertau hops
S23 slurry, starter

Wheat

4kg wheat (BB)
1kg pilsner (BB)
hallertau hops

Cheers

I can't really comment on how these will turn out but can give you a bit of feedback from my own experience. The first AG beers I did were Dr Smurto's Golden Ale and the Black Beer as I knew they were tried and tested recipes. There is plenty of information out there on these recipes and I knew the specific targets and time increments that had to be hit. I've since experimented with other recipes and had great success.

That being said I think you'll be fine with these recipies as long as you know the target gravity and IBU for the styles your going for.

Let us know how you go
Good Luck

Pale Ale looks fine to me.

The Lager, lose most of the Carapils. 500 gr is way to much in this type of recipe for me. You'll need temperature control for your fermentation, and a large starter (more than the usual 1 or 2 litres), or an equivalent amount of slurry.

The Wheat, your wheat proportion is very very high at 80% of your recipe. Drop it to about 50 to 60%, and you'll be fine.

I can't really comment on how these will turn out but can give you a bit of feedback from my own experience. The first AG beers I did were Dr Smurto's Golden Ale and the Black Beer as I knew they were tried and tested recipes. There is plenty of information out there on these recipes and I knew the specific targets and time increments that had to be hit. I've since experimented with other recipes and had great success.

That being said I think you'll be fine with these recipies as long as you know the target gravity and IBU for the styles your going for.

Let us know how you go
Good Luck
Cheers Verbyla, I will give Docs GA a try when I get some more Amarillo
I enjoyed the kit version I did so will be a good way to compare the differences in brewing techniques !

Pale Ale looks fine to me.

The Lager, lose most of the Carapils. 500 gr is way to much in this type of recipe for me. You'll need temperature control for your fermentation, and a large starter (more than the usual 1 or 2 litres), or an equivalent amount of slurry.

The Wheat, your wheat proportion is very very high at 80% of your recipe. Drop it to about 50 to 60%, and you'll be fine.
Ok I'll drop the carapils to 250g or maybe less and yeah I've got a temp controlled fridge and I'll make sure to get the yeast going strong before I pitch.

Also I'll change the wheat to 3kg wheat 2kg pils

Thanks Warra !

I'd be looking at the PA, due to lagers needing the temp control and large amount of healthy yeast etc, without being able to 'hide' many off flavours.

The wheat would also be alright since you wont need to worry about a stuck mash or anything whilst sparging due to BIAB.

Plus you can let the wheat yeast go at a range of temps with different flavours being formed.

All in all, US05 is very forgiving for a first AG, and the 3068 will also be somewhat forgiving, as opposed to the lager which could be a little more tempermental.

Good luck, and im sure itll be god dam delicious either way.

Those look more like shopping lists than recipes.

They'll all make beer. If you want feedback more specific than the advice above then you're going to have to get more specific yourself.

I'd be looking at the PA, due to lagers needing the temp control and large amount of healthy yeast etc, without being able to 'hide' many off flavours.

The wheat would also be alright since you wont need to worry about a stuck mash or anything whilst sparging due to BIAB.

Plus you can let the wheat yeast go at a range of temps with different flavours being formed.

All in all, US05 is very forgiving for a first AG, and the 3068 will also be somewhat forgiving, as opposed to the lager which could be a little more tempermental.

Good luck, and im sure itll be god dam delicious either way.
Yeah I was going to start with the PA
I have temp controll for the lager so that should be ok
Cheers

Those look more like shopping lists than recipes.

They'll all make beer. If you want feedback more specific than the advice above then you're going to have to get more specific yourself.
Fair call Bum it pretty much is a shopping list for my first few brews, just wanted to know if those grain bills were ok
I'm not sure on mash in/out temps, water volume, efficiency & OG FG etc
I'll have to download some brew software to get into more detail
Cheers

Yeah I was going to start with the PA
I have temp controll for the lager so that should be ok
Cheers

Fair call Bum it pretty much is a shopping list for my first few brews, just wanted to know if those grain bills were ok
I'm not sure on mash in/out temps, water volume, efficiency & OG FG etc
I'll have to download some brew software to get into more detail
Cheers

Download BrewMate, it's extremely accurate, easy to use & it's free. I use the Crown exposed element urn & I now hit my numbers spot on every time. I had under estimated my first couple of beers & set my efficiency at 70% expecting that this would probably be about what I would get doing BIAB. My first two brews were way over target gravity giving me great extraction & a much higher efficiency than expected, 86% on my last APA. I have played around with step mashing in the past but have found a simple single infusion for 90mins followed by a ramp in temp to 78deg for a mash out (once at 78deg, turn off urn & lift the bag) will give you great results.

Download BrewMate, it's extremely accurate, easy to use & it's free. I use the Crown exposed element urn & I now hit my numbers spot on every time. I had under estimated my first couple of beers & set my efficiency at 70% expecting that this would probably be about what I would get doing BIAB. My first two brews were way over target gravity giving me great extraction & a much higher efficiency than expected, 86% on my last APA. I have played around with step mashing in the past but have found a simple single infusion for 90mins followed by a ramp in temp to 78deg for a mash out (once at 78deg, turn off urn & lift the bag) will give you great results.

Good info thanks
What do you use to keep the bag off the element when you turn it on for mash out temp ?

Good info thanks
What do you use to keep the bag off the element when you turn it on for mash out temp ?

I got one of these Roasting racks from Robin's kitchen, $16.99. They don't have it listed on their website but if you call one of their stores close to you, you can order it over the phone. I posted on a thread somewhere the order ID: but can't seem to find the thread. I'll post it here once I find it.

024.jpg

Found it.
Curved roasting rack
Brand: D.Line
Item code no: 105935
$16.99
Call: 1800307717 to order over the phone.
Cheers

Back