First Ag Problem?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adraine

Reaction score
Boys a quick question.
I'm doing my first AG atm and I am up to the boil stage. So far so good, or maybe not. I'm doin a dr smurto's golden ale and it call for a 60min hop addition. So I've brought my wort up to a nice rolling boil, start the timer and pop the first hop addition in and WHAMMO instant boil over. So gas off big foamy head subsides and leaves quite a lot of what I can only guess as being broken down hop pellet fines.So the question is have I f#%ked it? Will this mean my battering won't be as strong as what it normally is or am I just being a paranoid ill bitch?
Any comment appreciated even if it is just to laugh at my dumb arse.
Cheers Ad.

Make more battering if you are worried :)

Seriously though, you will have lost some hops due to the boil over, add a few more grams and you will be right. Nothing to worry about. Just turn the gas down next time.

Boys a quick question.
I'm doing my first AG atm and I am up to the boil stage. So far so good, or maybe not. I'm doin a dr smurto's golden ale and it call for a 60min hop addition. So I've brought my wort up to a nice rolling boil, start the timer and pop the first hop addition in and WHAMMO instant boil over. So gas off big foamy head subsides and leaves quite a lot of what I can only guess as being broken down hop pellet fines.So the question is have I f#%ked it? Will this mean my battering won't be as strong as what it normally is or am I just being a paranoid ill bitch?
Any comment appreciated even if it is just to laugh at my dumb arse.
Cheers Ad.

Leave it you'll be fine just keep going. Maybe invest a couple of bucks in a hop sock next time, won't stop boil overs but keeps everything together. ATM you have no dramas :icon_cheers:

I can't really answer your question but keep a spray bottle of water nearby next time and if it looks like it is going to boil over, give it a bit of a spray on top and that will stop it.

when i add my hops i add over a 1 minute period.

just tip in a bit at a time ,it avoids boilovers.

dont throw the hops all in one hit, have a little bit of patience.

fergi

I can't really answer your question but keep a spray bottle of water nearby next time and if it looks like it is going to boil over, give it a bit of a spray on top and that will stop it.
+1 B)

Leave it you'll be fine just keep going. Maybe invest a couple of bucks in a hop sock next time, won't stop boil overs but keeps everything together. ATM you have no dramas :icon_cheers:

FAAAARRK hop sock that what I forgot!Oh well I'll use it for the next addition.
Cheers boys!

2 things I do to stop boil overs:

1. Spray bittle of cold water (as already posted)
2. Stir your kettle as you add the hops

Works every time.

so what causes the boilover in this case

so what causes the boilover in this case

Hot break causes the boil over, once you get through the hot break it is pretty much clear sailing from there. Once you get through the hot break you can then back the heat of a little to maintain a rolling boil. Throwing hops in will add aggravate the boil as it adds nucleus points. If you think adding hops is bad try adding dry malt, haven't done it since my partial days, but think volcanoes.

Next time add the hops after dropping the heat back a little.

Gavo.

Back