First Ag Oktoberfest Recipe Critique Needed

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ausdb

Copper kettles don't kill people....
Reaction score
Hi all

I have worked out the following grain bill and recipe for myan oktoberfest lager, its a bit of a combination of the garins I have on hand. Any suggestions about using the caramunich and melanoidin would be appreciated.

Here Goes
Batch Size 23-25L I'll just work with what comes out and top up the LME or add some DME if I dont hit my target gravity.

Target OG 1.057
2kg Aussie pilsener malt
2kg Aussie munich malt
1.25kg Coopers pale LME
0.25kg Weyermann melanoidin
0.4kg Weyermann Caramunich TypeIII

Mash single infusion @ 66C (is this ok)
Batch sparged

Hopping
60 min 40g NZ Hallertauer
15 min 15g NZ Hallertauer
Possibly 10g of Hallertauer at knock out Any Comments?

Chill with dodgy home made CFC

Ferment using a starter or Wyeast 2307 at 11C for 10 days (at least 7 as I am going away tomorrow for work for a week!) then Diacetyl rest
Work out the secondary later

Any comments appreciated

Cheers and Beers

:eek: :eek: Good Day
What is the % for your hops? For malt driven beers such as Viennas and Oktoberfests I aim to have the IBU's at or below 0.4 of the starting gravity. So your beer would have an IBU of 23 or less. A small hop addition near the end of the boil can add some complexity IMHO and I usual add a few grams near the end.
All the best, Barry

Maybe replace the CMunich III with a combination of equal amounts of CMunich I & III

Jovial Monk
Who just finished bottling his first OKF and is VERY happy with the result :)

Hey there Ausdb..ur recipie looks good...

Predicted Oktoberfest/Marzen Compliance

Original Gravity 1.057 (1.050 - 1.064) 100 %

Terminal Gravity 1.014 (1.012 - 1.016) 100 %

Color 14.09 SRM (7.00 - 14.00) SRM 99 %

Bitterness 25.6 IBU( 20.00 - 30.00) IBU 100 %

Alcohol (%volume) 5.8 % (4.80 - 6.50 %) 100 %

100 % overall

Maybe up the pilsner malt instead of using the LME......

Check out my Liver Addiction Oktoberfest in the Recipes section.
It is awesome.

Beers,
Doc

The alpha acid of the NZ Hallertau is approx 7% and as such with 40 grams at 60 and an addition at 15 minutes you will exceed 30 IBU for your beer.

It may be a nice beer but not to the style you want to achieve.

As Barry said 23 ibu is more to the mark you want.

If you reduce the boil addition to 25 gms you will be much closer to the style you are after. Leave the 15 gms at 15 and add a "small" addition at flame out.

Working on a 75% efficiency you probably won't need the LME.

Steve

Thanks all so far, this brew is starting to turn into an allnighter!

Whats the possibility of keeping boiled or unboiled wort in fridge for a week without it going bad? as I dont know if I will have time to boil, chill, aerate and pitch before I have to get on a plane tomorrow.

I seem to have forgot the part about having everything ready BEFORE you start to brew! at least the batch sparge worked a treat.

Will check the Alpha acid on the NZ hallertauers

As fars as the pils and different caramunichs, it was a case of run what ya brung I have no Type 1 cara munich. The only bulk malt I have atm is Kirin and I didn't want to use it in this brew based on the past discussions. I happened to have the can of LME so thought it would work ok with what pils and munich I have.

DOC your OKF looks great I will need to get some more ingredients before I experiment again

Thanks All

Well a quick update

Got the boil done ended up doing 90 mins

Thanks for the reminder on the NZ Hallertauers, I would have been right in the shit as the ones I had were 8-9% !! I worked on 8 as they have been in my fridge for about 6 months now, they still smell nice.

As it was too late to get my CFC cleaned out and its about 14C outside tonight I am going to take a punt on letting it cool naturally. I have sanitised the top of the kettle and put a few layers of clean glad wrap over it and the lid back on (I read somewhere that glad wrap straight off the roll is supposed to be pretty sanitary.

Tomorrow morning or is that later this morning get up to transfer to the fermenter, get the airstone in for an hour or so, pitch the mega jug of 2308 and see what happens.

More to come next week when I get back from Sydney.

Cheers and Beers

Latest posts

Back