First AG - Better Red than Dead

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To anyone interested, I put this beer down tonight.
First attempt at BIAB seemed to go pretty smoothly :) Managed to have some fun at any rate. Strangely, I got a very high OG of 1.060 @20deg (23 litre). Now, it is quite unlikely my efficiency was running around the 100%+ mark, so not sure what is going on here... Tasted pretty good at any rate and now the whole house smells great.

Found the time to crack one of my kit brews and make a pizza during the mash stage, perfect level of multitasking :D
Cheers!

Well, learnt something already.
  • Attach thermostat probe to FV! Fermentation produces heat, despite my fridge being at a perfect 18deg, the FV was around 23 for the first 24hours :(
Still completely stumped by the crazy high OG. Don't see how it could possibly have been at 1.060. It has been fermenting very enthusiastically since, so has dropped heaps in just a day and a half (hence the heat production).

Attach thermostat probe to FV! Fermentation produces heat, despite my fridge being at a perfect 18deg, the FV was around 23 for the first 24hours :(
Don't worry too much about that, it's not ridiculously high and probably won't affect it too much. I did much worse than that on my first few brews, and was still quite drinkable.

Most people seem to attach the probe to the outside of the fermenter with some insulation to block out the ambient temp, some on the inside to get the exact temp of the wort/beer. I've gone for the inside for my last two, first one was fantastic, the second was horrible...infection I think, possibly from the probe harbouring nasties? Who knows.

Anyway, I'm getting on of those thermowells for the fermenter from Beerbelly, I've read a few people here have, or do use them, worth a shot they're cheap enough. :)

Yeah, not too stressed about the temp, but a little annoyed at not getting it right.
I have just duct-taped my probe to the side of the FV for now. was thinking about some sort of insulation, might be for the best.

Just use one of those "coolies" for beer cans and stubbies if you've got one laying around.

Still measure the wort temp in a gravity sample. I have my probe on the outside with duct tape and some insulating foam and it regularly reads 2.5 degreesC above the STC.1000 reading.

Manticle - Have you ever used, or know someone that has used a SS thermowell on the fermenter with an STC-1000 probe stuffed inside? A bit late considering that I've already bought one, but curious. This is what I've bought.

So, tried this today. Not wrapped.
turns out I made more mistakes than originally thought. I had underpitched yeast (had only bought one packet due to intending a small batch and not realised the significance). I believe this was a factor in under attenuation.
Anyway, the beer finished pretty high despite much swirling etc.

Has been in bottles for nearly 2 weeks. Since tonight is quiet and I am a little bored I gave it a try. Pretty sweet and very little hops present and some very noticeable yeast. Flavour is quite nice otherwise, so a more complete ferment and a little less crystal (ended up around 17%) would help. Might up the hops next time too.

Looks good anyway. I'd let it condition a month more and you will notice a big difference, maybe not in the sweetness though. I'd let a couple of those bad boys sit for 12mths and you might surprise yourself!

surly said:
turns out I made more mistakes than originally thought. learnt more than I was planning to.
FTFY

Certainly looks good. Give it time. Brew days can only get better :)

surly said:
Has been in bottles for nearly 2 weeks

so a more complete ferment and a little less crystal (ended up around 17%) would help. Might up the hops next time too.
Patience young man. Two weeks to condition is not very long, especially in the cooler weather. Give it a least 3 months and then pass judgement. It will be a much different beast then.

Sweetness will settle a bit too, although with 17% crystal she'll still be pretty sweet.

Thanks for the support/advice guys.

I realise this is VERY young, though have had the bottles in the fermenting fridge for the time being, so the temp is around 18deg which should help a little.

@Rowy. I plan on picking up some labels to stick on a few bottle with comments like "Beer X. Do not open before 2014" etc. That way I can leave under the work bench in the shed and will know what it is when I stumble across it at a later point.

Latest posts

Back