First AG Batch Done- Thankyous and Questions!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You only have to look at my 2 pot stovetop method with lauter tun to see that you use what you can, you can still make beer AG. A bit of innovation, a bit of tightwad and I had a perfectly good ghetto 2.5V stovetop method.

This time around, it'll start off as BIAB and go to a true ghetto 3V. I'm too time poor and unhandy to build myself a proper rig and too poor in general to get a braumeister.

Nick JD said:
So someone like Bum might insist on the need to know what a pickup tube is - but the flat reality is he's brewing from rote. Had he been a bit more advernturous and clever, he'd have found out that pickup tubes are by-and-large a waste of time. It does crack me up that very often ignorance and arrogance go hand in had with brewers. The "elite" are the worst.
I'm confused. Are you talking about someone like Bum or the elite? Try to decide who is making you feel insignificant.

As for how I brew, please, tell me about my process.

I'll tell you who is brewing by rote, the poor saps who follow your pictures and nothing else.

Nick JD said:
There's a podcast where these chaps in the 'States asked a bunch of brewers (one of them is an AHB member) to do side by side tests where they transfer the first half of the wort crystal clear into one fermenter - and the other half (including all the hotbreak) into another and report back with blind tasting on a few people.

Results were surprising. In many cases (and styles) more than half of the tasters prefered the one with all the break material added. More than half reported higher clarity and better hoppiness.

I tip all the crap in since listeing to it.

No idea where to find it now though. Someone else might remember. Worth listening to (as are all the brewing radio casts).

So someone like Bum might insist on the need to know what a pickup tube is - but the flat reality is he's brewing from rote. Had he been a bit more advernturous and clever, he'd have found out that pickup tubes are by-and-large a waste of time. It does crack me up that very often ignorance and arrogance go hand in had with brewers. The "elite" are the worst.

Brewing is a very simple process. Ignore anyone who feels the need to complicate it for you. Complicate it for yourself if you so desire.
I found the pickup tube pointless as well & don't bother using one anymore. The reason I was so anal about clear wort into the cube was I thought it was standard practice, so I just followed the flock. I know of several brewers that just dump the entire contents of the kettle into the cube with outstanding results but I still avoid too much trub into the cube for volume reasons only, nothing more. Biab breaks so many rules that were once gospel & making great beer cheap & easy is open & affordable to almost everyone. You can make this hobby as high tech or as simple as you like & can achieve great results with either.

That's one advantage with the Coopers fermenter, a very high tap. I've dumped the whole lot in for my last couple of brews and it is still well below the tap once settled...tastes like beer. Also looks really cool when the us-05 churns it all up.

Thanks for the info guys, will not stress about trub in future.

Love the new Coopers fermenters, I cant see through any of mine as they are all opaque, but watching the yeast fly around in my mates new Coopers fermenter was pretty cool, better than Celebrity Diving or whatever spectacular bullshit will be on telly next...

Edit: apparently I can't spell "Coopers"...

Latest posts

Back