First Ag Batch & A New Rig..

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deserter

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have just finished construction of my new AG rig, consisting of converted kegs with a false bottom for the mash tun, taps on all kegs and a brazed plate heat exchange..
To be honest I am a little daunted. I have been doing partials for a while but this is my first AG and am going to tackle the summer ale.
If anyone out there with more experience than I, or possibly a similar setup has the patience to help out yet another fledgling with some much needed advice or even some soothing words of wisdom it would be greatly appreciated..

I have worked long and hard to build my new setup and would be quietly (or not so) devastated if my first batch was not atleast a partial (drinkable atleast) success so PLEASE HELP.. if you can...

Any pointers on the heat exchange particularly would be helpful as it looks quite similar to an alien artifact in my eyes and came with no instructions..

Thanks in advance my bretheren of the brew..

Deserter.....

The first I made in my new rig was a disaster. I designed and made this thing and made that many mistakes using it, it ended up being the worst frustrating day of brewing I have ever had. And the beer was shite.

Before the next batch I typed out and printed out the proper procedure I must adhere to, to make beer from this thing and hung it up over the brewery. The second batch went excellent and the beer was something else.

So, my suggestion is obvious.

as above, plan for a disaster, that way you wont be dissapointed :D

pick an easy, simple grain bill, something you are familiar with helps too. that way you can minimise issues on the recipe side and focus on working out what you did right and what you did wrong with the rig.

plate heat exchangers have 2 inlets and 2 outlets. usually the plate exchangers are acutally marked for wort in/out and cooling in/out. check to see if there's labels or engraved words on the heat exchanger.

you dont need to fully understand them, just know that hot wort goes in the inlet, and cold wort comes out the outlet, and cold tap water goes in the other inlet, and warm/hot tap water comes out the other outlet. and the wort and tap water never touch. that's all you 'need' to know to use it, but you can easily google to see the inside of them and how they work.

good luck!

Solid advice from both of you.. I thankyou for your input..

Will be attempting the summer ale in the recipe DB so will let you know how she goes..

I find watching home brewing vids on youtube a great way to see how things are done visually. I'm assuming you will be using gravity, so that makes a few things easier! haha

I think he fly sparges in this, but you can also look at batch sparging methods on there too. Also all in imperial units <_<

Also, if you update your location on your profile a local brewer might put up their hand to help you out. Good luck :chug:

Last edited by a moderator:
Summer ale hey.... nice first recipe mate. First off you probably won't be able to gauge your efficiency due to the raw wheat involved but I would suggest you use more raw wheat or more marris otter. Every time I use raw wheat my efficiency is lower than normal. If you come in to high specific gravity you can just add water 15 minutes before end of boil or add boiled cooled water to the fermentor.
I reckon if your fermentation is clean and controlled with the right volume of healthy yeast and the right mash temp you cant go wrong. good luck with it mate.

Back