Firestone Keg

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alien13

Reaction score
Hey

My girlfriends dad has received a few kegs from an ex employee at the local depot here and is looking to convert a Mytton Rodd Firestone Keg from Pin Lock to Ball Lock. All of the conversion kits available online require a male fitting to connect to the keg as the original in/out posts thread into the keg.

The original fittings are 3/4" female on the keg itself. Are their any adapters available to allow a ball lock post to connect to the keg.

Below are a few picture of the keg and the fittings:

IMG_20121129_235244.jpg
IMG_20121129_235308.jpg

If anyone can help out that would be great, or if you have any experience with these types of kegs.

Cheers

Hey

My girlfriends dad has received a few kegs from an ex employee at the local depot here and is looking to convert a Mytton Rodd Firestone Keg from Pin Lock to Ball Lock. All of the conversion kits available online require a male fitting to connect to the keg as the original in/out posts thread into the keg.

The original fittings are 3/4" female on the keg itself. Are their any adapters available to allow a ball lock post to connect to the keg.

View attachment 58938
View attachment 58939

If anyone can help out that would be great, or if you have any experience with these types of kegs.

Cheers

Yep easy enough to do. I wouldn't mind betting that the keg is probably a larger capacity....closer to 21lt's? I had one of those kegs originally in pin lock, which i converted to ball lock. Was pricey though....from memory it cost me approx $60 for the conversion, that was several years ago now. I've since sold the keg so can't take any photos...

I'm pretty sure i got the parts from an online store - mybeershop or something like that. I reckon they also go by the name of cnccupcakeworld on ebay.

Also, check out the site sponsors like Craftbrewer, Grain and Grape, ESB etc as they may have the parts to convert your keg. Essentially you'll need a two piece fitting for each post. The lower part of each fitting is a male threaded adapter that screws into the keg post you've got in the wall of your keg now. The top half of the part you need is a female threaded ball lock post that screws down onto the adapter half.

another place you could try would be chicompany. They seem to have lots of parts for kegs..

EDIT: Something like this...

http://www.chicompany.net/index.php?main_p...roducts_id=1847

Just double check that this will fit your keg based on the description. You'll need one of these for gas and another for beer out.

Plus you'll need the actual posts (one for gas in, one for beer out) that screw onto the adapters. 4 parts in total - 2 adapters, 2 posts.

Here you go, found what i think are the correct sized fitting for the adapters. Once again, double check fitting sizes..
http://www.chicompany.net/index.php?main_p...roducts_id=2066

Hey

View attachment 58938
View attachment 58939

Cheers

I have a converted firestone at home.

Will try to take a picture for you tonight if i get a chance.

It is full of altbier atm so wont be able to pul it apart for you yet.

http://www.chicompany.net/index.php?main_p...roducts_id=1847

Just double check that this will fit your keg based on the description. You'll need one of these for gas and another for beer out.

Plus you'll need the actual posts (one for gas in, one for beer out) that screw onto the adapters. 4 parts in total - 2 adapters, 2 posts.

Here you go, found what i think are the correct sized fitting for the adapters. Once again, double check fitting sizes..
http://www.chicompany.net/index.php?main_p...roducts_id=2066

Awesome, I'll let him know tonight and he can double check them, bit they look the right part.

thanks for that, he has a couple of these kegs but just wants to convert one to ball lock, the others will be used for misc brews or filter transfers.

I have a converted firestone at home.

Will try to take a picture for you tonight if i get a chance.

It is full of altbier atm so wont be able to pul it apart for you yet.

If you could get a pic that would be great, but don't go out of your way to do it. Is your conversion similar to the parts listed above?

Cheers

Easy to convert, mybeershop, grain and grape, Ozbrew, plenty of others have the posts. Only problem is they cost about $30 each. It would be cheaper to offload them on eBay and buy some reconditioned cornies.

why not just buy the pinlock fittings and use a straight push fitting in the beer and gas lines as your 'adaptor' i've done this before at a party to put my ball locks onto a mates pinlock system

ok these guys Linky still make the same kegs in melbourne and have the posts avaliable in both ball lock and pin lock. I have 2 of these in ball lock myself. note at the bottom of the page is a list for all the seals you'll need too.

These are rated as the best HB kegs by most blokes who have a few your a lucky man

Hi alien13

I'm in a similar situation with a couple of kegs that I have.
What did you end up doing?

Easy to convert, mybeershop, grain and grape, Ozbrew, plenty of others have the posts. Only problem is they cost about $30 each. It would be cheaper to offload them on eBay and buy some reconditioned cornies.

I would never swap my Mytton Rodd kegs for cornies... not in a million years

cheers

I would never swap my Mytton Rodd kegs for cornies... not in a million years

cheers

Well of course that it up to you, if you like them then that's great. I have two of them that I can't get to seal 100% regardless of what I do, and they give me the shits massively after all the time and money I spent on them so I use one as a cleaning keg for my beer lines and the other as a filtering keg. This works well as they don't need to seal perfectly to do those jobs.

Hi alien13

if you have Mytton rodd/ firestone kegs its just a simple post swap out avaliable from the link I posted above

if you have Mytton rodd/ firestone kegs its just a simple post swap out avaliable from the link I posted above

I have done that to both of them and they still leak, I have no idea why. It is possible that they are just a bit stuffed. They were in very poor condition when I got them, but I thought a good clean and post/seal replacement should be it. Unfortunately they both still have very slow leaks. The thing that annoys me the most is for the cash I spent trying to revive them, I could have bought a couple a reconditioned cornies that were pressure tested.

I have done that to both of them and they still leak, I have no idea why. It is possible that they are just a bit stuffed. They were in very poor condition when I got them, but I thought a good clean and post/seal replacement should be it. Unfortunately they both still have very slow leaks. The thing that annoys me the most is for the cash I spent trying to revive them, I could have bought a couple a reconditioned cornies that were pressure tested.

Hi Mate
Put some gas in them so they have a bit of pressure and spray a solution of soapy water all over all of the fittings and connections, this should show you where they are leaking.

Of course, if they have visible damage to the sealing areas then that is another problem.

Mine had slow leaks when I got them and I tried replacing poppet gaskets and seals, orings etc but they still leaked from the posts.
I bought adapters from mybeershop and these allowed me to fit corny posts which were all supplied from them.
Problem solved....
Btw mine are 46 litre jobbies so well worth the mucking around.

I might add as well that there is a lot of "chinese" ball lock fittings around now that leak at times.

Cheers

Hi Mate
Put some gas in them so they have a bit of pressure and spray a solution of soapy water all over all of the fittings and connections, this should show you where they are leaking.

Of course, if they have visible damage to the sealing areas then that is another problem.

Mine had slow leaks when I got them and I tried replacing poppet gaskets and seals, orings etc but they still leaked from the posts.
I bought adapters from mybeershop and these allowed me to fit corny posts which were all supplied from them.
Problem solved....
Btw mine are 46 litre jobbies so well worth the mucking around

Cheers

Hi Dicko,
I have done that and they leak where the post thread screws into the keg. Since the posts are new are I can only assume that the threads on the keg may be stuffed. Mine are only 19 or 20L kegs so i'm happy using them as they are for cleaning, filtering etc. I agree though, well worth the effort for a 46L keg, that is great!

Hi Dicko,
I have done that and they leak where the post thread screws into the keg. Since the posts are new are I can only assume that the threads on the keg may be stuffed. Mine are only 19 or 20L kegs so i'm happy using them as they are for cleaning, filtering etc. I agree though, well worth the effort for a 46L keg, that is great!

Hi Adam

This is what I put into my kegs.
The yellow washers were important.

It's a shame that you can't use your kegs for the purpose they were intended.

Picture.jpg

IMG_0401.jpg

Hi Adam

View attachment 59012

View attachment 59013

Yeah I replaced the yellow washers too, those converters look interesting though. Anyway, it's not a big deal, I just find the time I can devote to the 'handyman' side of homebrewing is not what is used to be.

cheers for the info though! :beer:

Hi alien13

G'day. As stated, the links posted in this thread are what you want to be looking at. As long as all the thread sizes match up (which they should), you'll be good to go.

Hi Adam

[snip]
[snip]

Great post! These are essential for your keg. I think ozbrew had some of these in stock.

Back