Fire Safety in the Brewhouse

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

droid

somewhere on the slippery slope with a beer in han
Reaction score
Just purchased from Aldi today, a fire blanket and extinguisher...$24.99

The chances of needing to use it are greatly reduced now of course....been thinking about it for a long time but never got around to it, glad it's finally ready to go!

Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it!
Very practical addition to the brewery Droid.

I see you have both next to an inverter - a possible source of fire.

I'd suggest keeping the extinguisher on the other side of the building so that if there is an electrical fire you can use the dry powder extinguisher without entering the danger zone. In fact, it's not a bad idea to always separate your fire fighting equipment so that a fire in one location does not preclude the use of all your equipment.

As an example, we have a fire extinguisher in our kitchen (couple of metres away from the oven/stove) and a fire blanket near the back door, about half way between the kitchen and the outdoor BBQ. The idea being that if there is a fire in the kitchen, we can still get to the fire blanket, which may in turn be helpful in reaching the extinguisher, if needed.

Luckily, all this stuff has never been used and hopefully will never see action.

^good pointers thanks, I'll separate and relocate

I hadn't thought much about this however if stuck with a fire in brewrery I'd up-end my CO2 bottle, grip the tubing for dear life and let her rip dry ice all over the fire :p

Ed. this would be under controlled conditions, do not try this at home.

And a floor drain, but Droid is hosting 20 odd brewers for swap in July, I'm sure after a couple of pints, we could break out the big tools and sort that in 15 minutes.

And dry powder makes as big a mess as the small fire when it comes time to clean up. Still a great idea though.

Check the label on the extinguisher Droid. If it is ABE then it is good for Class E electrical fires. But as one of the boys said very messy. If it is AB type then change it for ABE.

It is an ABE so it's fine and would use if needed. But it can destroy other electrical items but so will a fire. I was lucky enough to score a few CO2 ones from work a while back.

Stating the obvious but actually make sure you know how to use it aswell . Alot of houses are lost by someone having a fire extinguisher and not giving a decent shake before using

I've heard that the powder compacts over time so they only have a lifespan of a couple of years? I got a couple of powder ones a few years back for the camper trailer. Probably need to renew them?

I've heard that the powder compacts over time so they only have a lifespan of a couple of years? I got a couple of powder ones a few years back for the camper trailer. Probably need to renew them?

They do have an anti-caking agent Earl but the units stored in vehicles and the like can definitely pack down from all the vibration. For the price of a 1kg it’s worth changing them over every couple of years. Not sure on actual life span though.

I was told but haven’t bothered to check that when a powder extinguisher is serviced it’s held upside down and given a few thumps with a rubber mallet to loosen the contents then shaken.
As a result I give mine a good shake once a month.
Extinguisher that is.

You know what they say - more than three shakes. ......

Back