Fire Extinguisher Kegging

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjay

Reaction score
I have just picked up my 5 kg extinguisher bottle for my venture into the wonderfull world of kegging
The bloke had more pm if you want his phone number
My regulator fitted pretty much straight on with another fitting that cost all of $3
My reg seems to work allright its from my tig welder
bottle and gas for $30 should last a while :icon_drunk:
need to get a tap,lines,disconnects and iam away,,Oh and bore a hole in side of fridge

cheers
bjay

Would be very cautious using a reg not designed for CO2. The extinguisher is great though, as my reg screwed straigt onto it :)

Cheers

Would be very cautious using a reg not designed for CO2. The extinguisher is great though, as my reg screwed straigt onto it :)

Cheers
Hey Nick , any chance of a pic of your extinguisher ?
I,m thinking of doing the same or similar to your CO2 set up and I,m just trying to figure out what happens at the reg/extinguisher trigger connection.
I recall yours is hung upside down, but cant recall if the trigger is still in place.
Yeh I know I could search but scruffy's swap beer has just kicked in. :icon_drool2: ( may help others also)
Daz

Yeh I know I could search but scruffy's swap beer has just kicked in.

Daz

:icon_offtopic: Has that efffect doesnt it Daz. Sort of explains his state on sunday morning. :icon_drunk:

Cheers

Here you go... Unit is completely stock, with the trigger in place. I leave mine on all the time, and have had no issues at all. Mounted upside down as the dip-tube has not been removed, and I want to suck the gas, not the liquid into the reg...

gas.jpg

Got it replaced a couple weeks back, and the extinguisher guy (from Chubb) said he thinks these are Wormald style extinguishers. The newer style Chubb units will need an adaptor as they have a smaller female thread. My CO2 Reg screws straight onto mine, so no adaptors necessary.

:icon_offtopic: Has that efffect doesnt it Daz. Sort of explains his state on sunday morning. :icon_drunk:

Cheers

:icon_offtopic: Tis good stuff indeed ......O-oh ! Stillscotish's treacle juice is out to get me now. Me thinks perhaps I'll have a nap before dinner. :super:
Daz

Here you go... Unit is completely stock, with the trigger in place. I leave mine on all the time, and have had no issues at all. Mounted upside down as the dip-tube has not been removed, and I want to suck the gas, not the liquid into the reg...

View attachment 39811

Got it replaced a couple weeks back, and the extinguisher guy (from Chubb) said he thinks these are Wormald style extinguishers. The newer style Chubb units will need an adapter as they have a smaller female thread. My CO2 Reg screws straight onto mine, so no adaptors necessary.
Arha!So you could just zip tie the trigger in the fire position as in valve open all the time, and then set reg to pressure?

Thats what could be the dif. Maybe I need the adapter.

Thanks nick I'll follow up on that, good job and quick.Cheers

Apologies to OP for Off Topics. Hope Nicks pics help.( that could be nick picing :lol:, OMG)
Daz

Havn't even thought about turning it upside down ,,,The diptube would be still in it though
My regulator says for inert gas and co2 is a semi inert gas i am led to believe so should be good maybe,,, Read some were that you dont have to leave them on all the time anyway,, just give a squirt every now an then
But when i turned it on only gas came out ,,, He had a few different sizes 2.5 ,3.5, 5 i think dont quote me
And he had a few different types,The guy is located in dandenong

cheers
bjay

Arha!So you could just zip tie the trigger in the fire position as in valve open all the time, and then set reg to pressure?

Thats what could be the dif. Maybe I need the adapter.

Thanks nick I'll follow up on that, good job and quick.Cheers

Apologies to OP for Off Topics. Hope Nicks pics help.( that could be nick picing :lol:, OMG)
Daz

Daz - mine has the little pin that stops you firing the extinguisher. If you pull this out and squeeze the trigger you should have a couple of holes to put the pin into to lock it to the on position

Cheers

Read some were that you dont have to leave them on all the time anyway,, just give a squirt every now an then

The problem with this is you don't have a balanced system and will have foam and carbonation issues.

The best option is to leave it open full when in use and once finnished the session, turn it off as it shouldn't need further gas while being stored.

I had my dip tube removed when the bottle ran empty the first time. I asked the re-fill guys to remove it before topping it up again.

Cheers,

TS

The problem with this is you don't have a balanced system and will have foam and carbonation issues.

The best option is to leave it open full when in use and once finnished the session, turn it off as it shouldn't need further gas while being stored.

I had my dip tube removed when the bottle ran empty the first time. I asked the re-fill guys to remove it before topping it up again.

Cheers,

TS

Yeah that makes sense ,,, just you would always forget after a sesh an leave it on :D

bjay

Back