Finnings- When To Use Them

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brendandrage

Reaction score
Hi all,I recently purchased some finnings from G&G and would like to know when would be best to use them.The directions say after about 3 days but I thought I would ask the greater community.I have 2 brews I put down a week ago tonight, is it too early or late to use some?
Cheers

3 days in?

Are you sure?

Wait until fermentation has ceased. In my experience, even waiting a few days after that is better. Finings help the yeast clump and fall out of solution which you don't want to encourage before it's done its job.

3 days in?

Are you sure?

Wait until fermentation has ceased. In my experience, even waiting a few days after that is better. Finings help the yeast clump and fall out of solution which you don't want to encourage before it's done its job.

Just rechecked and I think i have misunderstood the directions.I thought you would use it as you suggested.
Thanks for your help

3 days in?

Are you sure?

How long should you leave the finings to do its stuff?

as suggested by readings you take..with a hydrometer...get same reading over 2 days then bottle or keg

I no longer use finings prefering to let sit for a week to clear, but when I did i let the brew sit for 2 or 3 days after adding finings before bottling.

Of course make sure you have stable SG before using finings....same over a couple of days.

I assume if your kegging, you can just mix in just before you transfer from primary to keg and leave there?
Cheers

if your using finings. after you have a steady SG reading for 2-3days let the brew sit for a while and add the finings 48hours before bottling..

this will help the yeast clump together and drop out of the brew..once in bottles the sediment at the bottom will become firmer and will not move around or get shaken up as easy.

What dosage rate do you use?

around 3/4 of a sachel per brew - so around 1 and a bit teaspoons I think. I will buy a resealable tin of some sort next time, but at the moment I have the pack of I think 7 sachets at the moment, cost around $2 and will last around 9 brews if my maths is correct :)
100ish Mls of water @ 60*c put in microwave for 10 minutes on the lowest power to keep temp constant. Add to cold keg, wait 3 days (usually don't touch it for a week waiting for it to carbonate), pour out 1 schooner of crap, drink clear beer. Simple!

Latest posts

Back