Finished Fermenting

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wiggins

Reaction score
Ive got a problem with my brews, they brew out in 2 days to around 1010 sg and after that there is no bubbling through the airlock. Im using coopers brew enhancer 2 and have the temperature at around 20 to 24 degrees all the time. Is it safe to bottle at this stage or should i let it go for another couple of days. thanks , wiggins.

2 days is very quick. I would think that maybe either the reading is suspect or perhaps it's been too hot.

Have you checked your hydrometer?

What was the starting gravity?

Is this happening with all your brews?

In any event, leaving it for another day or two will not cause any grief providing you have kept cleanliness under control and that the temp is not high.

Check again tomorrow and see what the FG is. If it is still dropping then leave it for another couple of days and check again (although 1010 is probably close to terminal gravity).

Trev

I'm going to repeat what I've said many, many times. Leave it in the fermenter for a minimum of a week; don't even consider bottling after any less time. Peferably leave it for longer. Some say secondary, some say don't - work out what works for you.

I leave my ales for 2 weeks and either keg/bottle or stick into another (secondary) vessel with little headspace for maturation.

My hydrometer reads around 1000 at room temperature with plain water,don"t know if this normal or not. Temperature is 24 degrees in daytime and 19 at night. So far ive had 3 brews at 1010 sg within 2 or 3 days, using coopers standard yeast.A bloke at the homebrew store reckons coopers have a very fast yeast,but how fast is normal for this yeast?

My hydrometer reads around 1000 at room temperature with plain water

This is correct. If correctly calibrated, the hydrometer should read 1.000 at (I think either 20 or 25 degrees C) in distilled water.

There are a heap of things that can affect the speed of the ferment. At the end of the day, as long as you have the same gravity 3 days running, then all is complete :)

There is no risk if you just leave it for few days after all activity appears to have ceased anyway. As long as you don't open the fermenter, there will be a nice protective layer of CO2 above your brew, to keep all of the nasties out. All that will happen is that sediment will settle out, and you will end up with a clearer result.

An extra 3 or 4 days in the primary doesnt matter much if you are going to cold condition for a couple of weeks and then leave it in the bottle for a month or so before consuming....... :chug:

Good Luck!

M

Back