Finings

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dirty mac

Reaction score
I've been using finings for my brews as I've known no different. Is this a no no for a real pure tasting beer? Should I be using secondary and chilling techniqes instead.

I don't think it's a real no no, but personally I don't use finings. The purpose is to drop out the yeast. Personally, I just leave the beer in the primary for two weeks and find the beer is clear at this point. It does depend on the yeast you using, so if the beer is still cloudy at this point, you can use finings then, or just drink it cloudy.

Entirely up to you dirty. If you are happy with the results from finings stick with that. I have never used them so I cant comment on which is best, finings or racking. I rack to secondary to clear my beers and am happy with the results. The finings you are using will not alter the taste in any way (I dont think) as its such a small amount.
Cheers
Steve

Usually not DC. Just when doing some kinds of beers, like lagers.

I agree with Steve. No problem with sticking with finings. But where is the fun of homebrewing if you don't experiment? :chug:

When I make a lager I like it to be clear, here is my method for getting a crystal clear lager.
  • Brew for 2 weeks @ ~10C
  • Rack and add finings for 2 weeks @ ~12C
  • Rest for 2 days @ ~16-18C
  • Cold Condition for as long as you can (2-3 months is good) @ ~2C
It is a long drawn out process but when you try the beer you will be very suprised at how clear it is and how good it tastes.

mmmm. I just wonder what the best result is. As thats my aim. I guess for lagers you have to rack anyway if you are going to leave it in the fermenter for weeks don't ya?

mmmm. I just wonder what the best result is. As thats my aim. I guess for lagers you have to rack anyway if you are going to leave it in the fermenter for weeks don't ya?

yes rack it off primary into secondary before cc'ing. Lagers are for patient people, of which I am not. I can only cc for about 2 weeks and then im hanging to bottle and drink.
Cheers
Steve

When I make a lager I like it to be clear, here is my method for getting a crystal clear lager.
It is a long drawn out process but when you try the beer you will be very suprised at how clear it is and how good it tastes.

Won't your yeast totally be non existent for carbonation after that long?

I consider personal likes and disikes in the equation weather to use fining or not. When you formulate your brew recipe you anticipate a certain color range. If it is a dark Ale obviously there is no need for finings. On the other hand, Pilseners tend to be on the light side. In this case long periods of conditioning will help to clarify the brew. Personally, I am very impatient and I use both fining of some sort and a filter to achieve MY DESIRED result.(Notice the emphasys). In any case, I am sure the beer will taste just as good either way so enjoy it.

:beer:
PeterS...

nope, their just having a kip on the bottom of the fermenter :beer:

I keg, so that has never been a problem for me.. but I would guess once your beer warmed up the the yeast would come back and be able to carbonate your beer, they are tough little buggers thats for sure.

I do 7 days primary, 7 days secondary and normally add finings 1-2 days before bottling.

I wonder if I am wasting my time.....

nope, their just having a kip on the bottom of the fermenter :beer:

Nice. I'm going to give that a go. Thanks man!!

I used to use finings until I heard that some finings are made from shellfish. Not sure which ones. However it gave me the fear as I envisaged giving a friend a beer only to watch them going into anaphilactic shock due to a shellfish allergy. Not the sort of thing you ask someone as you serve a beer...."Here try this beautiful larger I brewed myself....oh...your not allergic to shellfish are you?"

Maybe being over cautious but the image is still in my head.

In any case I started going secondary instead and havent looked back. I make mainly Largers (I love my bitters) and find that dependant on the temps (and they have been pretty low in Melbourne this winter (<10oC at night. 2 - 3oC the other night)) I ferment for 7 - 14 days, then rack for 7 - 10 Days without finings, and then bottle.

They seem to come good after 1 1/2 to 2 Months bottle conditioning.

Anyway, thats what I do and my beers are pretty clear.

ATOMT :party:

will try @ 3-4 weeks but wont start drinking the batch b4 10 weeks.

I used to use finings until I heard that some finings are made from shellfish. ......

ATOMT :party:

Isinglass is made from fish swim bladders. I haven't used it but I did use gelatin for the first time last week in a keg that refused to drop bright and it did a terrific job.

Finings is a completely cosmetic.
I have drunk many a HB with and without finings.
Just close your eyes if its isnt clear enough for you.

Though I like to attempt making clear beer so I can share one with a non brewer, when they do pop around.

Back