Finings In Secondary

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goat

NULL
Reaction score
I racked a brew to a secondary yesterday in which I forgotten to put fining in the boil and judging by how it looked, I will need to do something. :(

What is the standard method of doing this; do I just get the recommended boil dose, mix it in boiled water and pour it in?

TIA

Goat,

If it's gelatin finings you're talking about, you don't boil them you will ruin them.

Add sachet to about 500ml of water and heat slowly, stir until the gelatin has dissolved. When this has occured just add it to the fermenter and maybe {gently} stir in to disperse. Don't allow the water to boil.

If you're not too keen on stirring, maybe rack a 2nd time to another fermenter and add the finings at the same time. The swirling action from the racking will mix them in.

The third alternative is to add them to the bottling bucket (presuming you're bottling) and mix them in with the priming sugar. This should aid in clearing the beer in the bottle.

Bear in mind also Goat that the beer may clear in the secondary of it's own accord. I've forgotten to add whirlfloc before and the beer came out quite clear.

I often wonder if it even has any benefit at times ??

Warren -

I often wonder if it even has any benefit at times ??

Warren

Me too! Last two batches had no whirlfloc. Cleared nicely with time

Thanks Warren - you are right about the self clearing. I might leave it for a bit and see what happens.

I've heard of gelatine fining (don't remember who), but it sounds like a great apportunity for an infection.

I was thinking of half a whirfloc tab or something - are they appropriate for secondary fining?

Goat,

I wouldn't use whirlfloc in the secondary. :eek:

Gelatin is quite safe to use. If you're worried about an infection, boil and cool the water first. Then add the gelatin and follow the afore-mentioned procedure.

It's quite a common practice.

Another thing you could try is Biofine, which IIRC are basically liquified (pre-prepared) Insinglass. Your LHBS should have them.

Warren -

warrenlw63 said:
Goat,

I wouldn't use whirlfloc in the secondary. :eek:

Gelatin is quite safe to use. If you're worried about an infection, boil and cool the water first. Then add the gelatin and follow the afore-mentioned procedure.

It's quite a common practice.

Another thing you could try is Biofine, which IIRC are basically liquified (pre-prepared) Insinglass. Your LHBS should have them.

Warren -
[post="56339"][/post]​
Isinglass is funny stuff mind. It's ideal for fining real ale because it will work multiple times (as the cask gets shaken up, then settles, gets shaken up again, etc) on the way to the pub. The rule of thumb is that it will clear the beer 7 times, working best on the third time. On the down side it needs to be stored properly and can be quite temperature sensitive. It works best on a rising temperature, hence the not infrequent practice of pouring a kettle full of boiling water over a cask of beer that isn't clearing to get get the isinglass to work - a trick that works suprisingly often.

Whirfloc in the secondary would be pointless - Irish moss is added to the boil to get the proteins out - it won't do anything for yeast.

Just re-read the OP and I realise it might be protein you are worried about - still, its no good adding whirfloc now, but that counts out Isinglass which is the wrong charge to help with protein. If it is a protein haze then live with it - it only really affects the appearance.

Yep I use gelatine when I remember, about 1/2 - 2/3 of a tablespoon disolved in a cup of hot tap water. Pour over the secondary (lid off of course) and usually a gentle stir with a tablespoon just on the top.

If it is still in my freezer I dial up 2deg and leave it for a couple of days, keg carb and drink :p

Hi
Never used finnings in my life. Why bother, every batch is clear at the end of the day.
The secondary will settle your beer
The beer in the bottle will settle nice and have a small yeast sediment
Ray

PoMo EDIT: Removed white space.

ahhh - its all coming back to me now. It was you who was telling me about it Jason!

Thanks for the advice chaps

Latest posts

Back