Finings In A Wheat Beer?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boriskane

Reaction score
hi,

coming up to day 7 in the fermenter and the gravity is decreasing at a decreasing rate now.

my last brew was a bavarian wheat, and im trying the same kit again to try and perfect technique to see where i made mistakes. in the last batch i put the finings in the day before i bottled, and the beer has turned out super clear. when i was checking the hydro during this first batch, it was a typical cloudy wheat colouration, and after the finings, it became a very ambery crystal clear colour.

now when ive been checking the hydro with this batch i get that same cloudy wheat colour. my question is:

what effect will NOT adding beer finings have on the result of the bavarian wheat? or better yet:

how do i make my wheat beer cloudy (i understand that it comes from suspended yeast?)?

You've pretty much answered your own question.

Cloudiness in wheat is [should be] resulting from remaining suspended yeast - one reason they are better drunk fresh (I'm fairly sure the other is the low hopping)

Don't fine and you will have a cloudier, better flavoured beer as the flavour of a proper wheat is yeast derived (preuming yours came with a wheat yeast).

You've pretty much answered your own question.

Cloudiness in wheat is [should be] resulting from remaining suspended yeast - one reason they are better drunk fresh (I'm fairly sure the other is the low hopping)

Don't fine and you will have a cloudier, better flavoured beer as the flavour of a proper wheat is yeast derived (preuming yours came with a wheat yeast).

awesome.

so how fresh are we talking here? what would be the proper method of storage etc after i bottle the beer?

awesome.

so how fresh are we talking here? what would be the proper method of storage etc after i bottle the beer?

Carbonate, chill & drink :icon_cheers:

Cheers Ross

As suggested by Ross - ready for drinking as soon as the carb level is where you want it. The opposite to most other beers but it seems to work.

Carbonate, chill & drink :icon_cheers:

Cheers Ross

rad.

so can someone tell me what happens to the beer after a month if i dont put the finings in? and why the better flavour for the fresh?

rad.

so can someone tell me what happens to the beer after a month if i dont put the finings in? and why the better flavour for the fresh?

If you want Hefeweizen (yeastwheat) don't add finings. If you want Kristallweizen (clearwheat) add finings.

After a month the things that make a German wheat beer taste like a German wheat beer get eaten by the yeast - it doesn't taste "bad", just not as "good".

The nice things are banana esters and clove phenolics which added together = bubblegum.

If you're talking about the Brewcraft Bavarian Wheat Kit, and you have used the kit yeast, then you aren't making a Hefeweizen. To do that you will need a proper Hefeweizen yeast, rather than (the admittedly good) ale yeast under the lid. With the kit yeast it will always drop bright and fairly quickly after the fermentation is complete.
My personal favourite is the Wyeast 3068, big banana hit from that baby.

So the right yeast and no finings and as said before when it's got bubbles get it into you.
Hope this helps.
MHB

If you're talking about the Brewcraft Bavarian Wheat Kit, and you have used the kit yeast, then you aren't making a Hefeweizen. To do that you will need a proper Hefeweizen yeast, rather than (the admittedly good) ale yeast under the lid. With the kit yeast it will always drop bright and fairly quickly after the fermentation is complete.
My personal favourite is the Wyeast 3068, big banana hit from that baby.

So the right yeast and no finings and as said before when it's got bubbles get it into you.
Hope this helps.
MHB

this is the yeast:

http://www.westbrew.com.au/showProduct/Hom.../Yeasts/0550012

safbrew wb-06. it's a dry wheat yeast

Its a halfway decent wheat yeast, in fact probably the best of the dried wheat yeasts - but no way is it a Hefeweizen yeast lash out on the liquid just the once and I think you will love the results.

MHB

Its a halfway decent wheat yeast, in fact probably the best of the dried wheat yeasts - but no way is it a Hefeweizen yeast lash out on the liquid just the once and I think you will love the results.

MHB

oh i see. hmm ok ill have to give that a shot next time around. thanks for the heads up and tips

If you want Hefeweizen (yeastwheat) don't add finings. If you want Kristallweizen (clearwheat) add finings.

but if im not using a hefeweizen yeast such as wyeast 3068, am i going to get something close to it with the wb-06? as in, is it worth not using finings?

but if im not using a hefeweizen yeast such as wyeast 3068, am i going to get something close to it with the wb-06? as in, is it worth not using finings?
Use the finings and re-suspend the yeast when you pour the beer.

You won't look back once you have used as liquid yeast, as MHB said.

MHB would want me to declare my fave yeast as W3638 Bavarian wheat, as I find the W3068 and W3056 to be beginner strains.

brew the two close together and taste them side-by-side. Feel your jaw drop. Testify!

Use the finings and re-suspend the yeast when you pour the beer.

You won't look back once you have used as liquid yeast, as MHB said.

MHB would want me to declare my fave yeast as W3638 Bavarian wheat, as I find the W3068 and W3056 to be beginner strains.

brew the two close together and taste them side-by-side. Feel your jaw drop. Testify!

haha ill have to give it a go one day

just encountered a situation im unfamiliar with:

for three days the FG settled on 1013. so yesterday i put the finings in, we were planning to bottle today, so i just checked the hydro, and it had gone down to 1010. can anyone tell me why?

Depending of the temp brewed at I have had a few stall and re-activate a day or two later, also could have been the temp of the sample taken.

Depending of the temp brewed at I have had a few stall and re-activate a day or two later, also could have been the temp of the sample taken.

hmm ok, is it possible for fermentation to continue after the finings have been put in?

sure, finings wont drop all of the yeast out of suspension.

that's why you can still bottle carb after gelatine.

There's no way you'll make anything that tastes like a lager or an ale - or any other style if you use WB06.

You will make hefeweizen with WB06. If you buy a hefe at the shop it'll be clear in the bottle - so it's not a bad idea to use finings to resuce the amount of yeast in your bottles.

Too much yeast in a hefe is not so nice - it'll dominate the flavour too much.

WB06 is heavy on the bubble gum and the cloves and light on the banana - but it's a "German Wheat Yeast".

Latest posts

Back