Finings in a keg?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Droopy Brew

Reaction score
Well probably a bit late as I have already done it but worth asking anyway to see what to expect.

I brewed a Belgian Lager (Ale yeast) which fermented for 8 days with dry hopping at 4 days. I haven't used a secondary and didnt CC so some cloudyness was expected.

I noticed a fair bit of hops on the side of the fermenter which wasnt good I thought it should all be on the bottom. Didn't move the fermenter before kegging.

So after 2 days in the keg and temp brought down I poured off a schooner to hopefully clear the dregs then force carbed. Result- very cloudy.beer that doesnt want to carb properly- but flavour is fine.

So I thought bugger it I will leave for another 3 or 4 days in the fridge but to help the settling process I have added some Copper Tun beer finings.

Question is what can I expect in a few days time? I intend to pour off a schooner of settled sludge and hopefully find clear beer on top. I will then re-carb and hopefully drink.

So waddaya reckon have I f*#ked it or will it come out good?

Cheers,

Should be sweet mate.
I used to add gelatin to my kegs as finings before I started filtering all the time and it worked well as long as you don't move the keg around as that will stir it up.
By the way don't use "finings from brew shops etc, as it's all just gelatin. Just buy gelatin from the supermarket it works out heaps cheaper.

Thanks mate. Fingers Xd.

I have also had a think about keg to keg filtering- what do you use? 1um or 5um filter?

I had this pack of finings with my original start up kit but have'nt need them til now. I have seen a lot of blokes here talk about gelatin. How much do you use per keg?

Latest posts

Back