Finding empty stubbies and other smaller bottles in Hobart?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bingggo

Reaction score
Hi folks,

Nice to find a Tassie Club in here. Any tips for finding quantities of stubbies and other mid-size bottles for homebrew in Hobart?

THBS has some, but seem to be screw-tops whenever I've been in. Prefer Crown seal.

I've posted in the marketplace, and keeping an eye on gumtree. No luck.

Do the tip shops or other places present good hunting grounds?

Cheerio,
B

Make friends with your local craft beer bar. They might slip you a few after a big weekend.

I've used the tip shop locally to obtain bottles - I only want long necks which means that I have to have screw top for the most part. However, there are a number of crown seal stubbies anytime I go there.

Get in happy with the local tip shop guy or the dump-master.

Slightly OT - but there are a number of good Tassie brewers in Hobart and a smattering of us up here. There are bottle swaps and meets on the odd occasion, as well as bulk buys of grain and hops.

I have scored crown seal long necks at the tip shop & in the Mercury. There is a glassware shop in Derwent Park, I cannot remember the name of it but it is just along the roda from Animal Tucker Box

plasdine or something? I called them up and they only wanted to sell me like a trillion bottles. not quite feasible for a small home brewer.
Instead of using long necks, i use old champagne style bottles. They take 750 ml, can deal with larger carbonation and i reckon they look spiffy. You do need slightly larger caps and a larger capping thing (about 5 bucks) to seal the bottles though.
Recycling bit at Glenorchy tip is the best spot to score them i've found. They guy who sits in the shed there is super helpful and will lend you his little grabber thing if you ask. Mornington charge you to deliver recycling even if you don't actually deliver anything - and they have told me that i cant take bottles from them incase there is glass in the bottle. Fair enough though, liability etc.
Now that cascade pale ale comes out in pot tops you should be able to score 375ml bottles with a crown seal there too.

I love the new cascade bottles. i started buying them when they were on special.
Have bought a few cartons of paleale which ain't too bad.
It does not take long to collect enough for a few batches.

Yes Alex, it is Plasdene, thanks for sorting that out. The wife got me some 500ml crown seals from their. I also quite like the Little Creatures pint bottles & the liquid inside aint to bad either... Cheers, Fozz

Back