Finally making the move to AG!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daveHQ

Reaction score
After 2 years of talking about it, iv'e decided it's time to take the leap to AG!!

I've bought some stuff already, i just need to work out how i'm going to go about setting it up

I think i'll base my setup much like Richards, with maybe a few changes, i'm not sure exactly ATM, i'm looking at what other people have done to see what best suits me (and my budget) and i'll go from there

If anyone has any advice/tips to offer i'd love to here it, i'm on a tight budget and i want to keep things simple and compact

Thanks Dave

I've got myself a keg which will be used as a big arse pot
2 burners
A stainless steel cooling coil (the dude i bought it off said he used it for making soft drinks)

Metalwork is my trade, so cutting welding ect, is going to be the easy bit

I'm thinking of just making a stand, mounting a burner underneath, sitting the keg on top and doing the lot in the 1 unit

any obvious flaws in the plan?

BIAB is your go mate. Bugger all overheads and easy to do. You've already got everything other than a bag!

Naa Rowy, sounds like he has space and a desire to build…… do a search for "brew rigs" on the site mate, plenty or inspiration in there.

Sorry, can't link on the phone, ed for auto correct fk ups

I'm not really sure what i need at this stage, a few valves, some voile cloth, a temp measuring device?? maybe a few pulleys (to lift the bag), some storage bin for grains ect

1 thing that i do need is a old fridge, temp control is a issue for me, i've just tasted a batch i bottled 3 weeks ago, tastes shit, all i can think of is temp control, i brew in a little garden shed out the back, it gets cold at night, and hot during the day

that's 1 thing that i've been needing to do for a while now!

People are giving away or selling cheap fridges all the time mate. Just keep an eye out. Buy a temp controller and your away! Or should I say your on the slippery slope......sounds like its too late anyway so Enjoy!

Dave, as I said I have an old fridge you can have to ferment in...it probably still works so should work in summer as well as winter (as you saw I only need the heating pad for about 9 months in Ballarat haha).

Glad to hear you are making the leap...even if you start of BIAB for a few brews while you work towards building a bigger set up, you will be well rewarded.

I'm doing another brewday sometime this week or weekend so if you wanted to drop in and see some of the process you missed last time let me know.

Onya! :icon_cheers:

Rowy said:
BIAB is your go mate. Bugger all overheads and easy to do. You've already got everything other than a bag!
Yes, that's the direction i'm looking to go, a few basic things and i'm good to go!

I've still got a lot to learn before i make my first batch, i don't want to stuff things up, i'm going this way because i love good beer, and kits/partials just ain't doin it for me anymore

And if you don't want to spend a fortune - there are plenty of methods that will allow wort extraction without lots of bling.

You sound like one of those people I'm not (skilled in making things), so I hope you can make a very very cool system.

If not, you'll still make great beer with a dodgy system (like mine).

Lecterfan said:
Dave, as I said I have an old fridge you can have to ferment in...it probably still works so should work in summer as well as winter (as you saw I only need the heating pad for about 9 months in Ballarat haha).

Glad to hear you are making the leap...even if you start of BIAB for a few brews while you work towards building a bigger set up, you will be well rewarded.

I'm doing another brewday sometime this week or weekend so if you wanted to drop in and see some of the process you missed last time let me know.

Onya! :icon_cheers:
Thanks man!, i'll pm you, i have many questions

I'm kinda flooded with info ATM there's alot to take in!

Yup, the thing is that All Grain Brewing ain't All Grain Brewing.

It's All Grain Wort Production which is just one - albeit central - stage in the process of grain to brain.

You already will have experience with all the other stages like cleaning, fermenting, bottling or kegging etc so you are already over the hump.

I have tasted some awful beers made on HERMS or 3 vessel and have had a couple of horrors myself on BIAB - the trick is to get a system going that you are happy and proud of.

For my recommendation if $$$ aren't the main issue, BIAB in 40L urn is the perfect turn-key solution for a 30-bottle or a keg batch.

Edit: all you need is a sheet of voile and if you have a suitable skyhook location, a couple of double pulley blocks from a hardware shop (I got mine at a market at a tools and nutsbolts stall) and a length of clothesline will set you up with a pulley that your granny could hoist a full bag with one hand for less than $20.

Bribie G said:
Yup, the thing is that All Grain Brewing ain't All Grain Brewing.

It's All Grain Wort Production which is just one - albeit central - stage in the process of grain to brain.

You already will have experience with all the other stages like cleaning, fermenting, bottling or kegging etc so you are already over the hump.

I have tasted some awful beers made on HERMS or 3 vessel and have had a couple of horrors myself on BIAB - the trick is to get a system going that you are happy and proud of.

For my recommendation if $$$ aren't the main issue, BIAB in 40L urn is the perfect turn-key solution for a 30-bottle or a keg batch.

Edit: all you need is a sheet of voile and if you have a suitable skyhook location, a couple of double pulley blocks from a hardware shop (I got mine at a market at a tools and nutsbolts stall) and a length of clothesline will set you up with a pulley that your granny could hoist a full bag with one hand for less than $20.
I'd have to agree with this............ :beerbang:
Biab in the Urn, too easy.

Latest posts

Back