Finally Got An Infection :(

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johndec

Reaction score
Well after 38 brews, the Brewers Selection wort I was going to bottle tomorrow has gone tits up... Bummer.

IMAG0036_zps5944127a.jpg

Bad luck mate. How's it taste? I thought there was glad wrap on there initially haha.

Bummer. Although it kind of looks like my effort on the bowl this morning

Well after 38 brews, the Brewers Selection wort I was going to bottle tomorrow has gone tits up... Bummer.

IMAG0036_zps5944127a.jpg

Take a sample (as in taking a sample to test SG). If it tastes alright then you can save most of it. Bottle, keg, or transfer into another container but make sure that you turn off the tap before the level in the fv reaches the tap. Not all surface indications of infection mean that your whole brew is cactus, but if it tastes/smells off then ditch it.
If you can save it then you need to either get rid of the fv, or give it a good going over with bleach. In the past I have put 2 litres of bleach into the fv, and left it there for a couple of days, rolling it around so all surfaces are covered. It's a bitch to hose out but persevere. A new tap doesn't cost much.

After a second look I wouldn't be too hopeful, but try it anyway - nothing to lose.

Bob, thanks for the tips but I've got a reasonable stockpile so it's not like I have to go to the Bottlo to replace it with packaged beer. I've had a good run out the FV so it and it's contents are meeting their maker tomorrow <_<

Bob, thanks for the tips but I've got a reasonable stockpile so it's not like I have to go to the Bottlo to replace it with packaged beer. I've had a good run out the FV so it and it's contents are meeting their maker tomorrow <_<
Are you confident it's your FV that caused it, or did you take any shortcuts during the brew?

Are you confident it's your FV that caused it, or did you take any shortcuts during the brew?

No shortcuts, same routine that has worked for me 37 times previously. I do remember when I was cleaning and sanitising it last time that it was looking a little discoloured and thinking it might be time to retire it.

Nope. Nuke it from orbit. She's stuffed, mate.

Commiserations.

Bum has it covered.

Cut your losses and tip it down your nieghbour's drain, (not your drain in case it sporulates and re-infects your brew gear) give it some caustic soda, bleach, starsan and idophor then move on.

When did you last clean your tap (by "clean" I mean dismantle and soak)?

Leave it another week, then bottle it. Take it to the local markets and sell it as naturally fermented vinegar at $8 a bottle. :lol:

QldKev

Leave it another week, then bottle it. Take it to the local markets and sell it as naturally fermented vinegar at $8 a bottle. :lol:

QldKev

Wow, if I can get that much cash for vinegar I'm moving out of homebrewing and deliberately infecting all my batches. :p

Wow, if I can get that much cash for vinegar I'm moving out of homebrewing and deliberately infecting all my batches. :p

I pay $12.10 for a 946ml bottle of "Bragg Apple Cider Vinegar" :eek:

maybe I should try and make my own.

QldKev

Ya no. It doesn't take a lot to make it!

Funny thing is I just read up on it, and I may give it a go.

I'm thinking trying a 2L batch as I find a bottle does last a long time anyway.

QldKev's apple cider vinegar...
Step 1. Smash enough red apples into water to get 1.050. I may de-seed them and throw them into a blender.
Step 2. Ferment out as per apple cider.
Step 3. Once at FG from the yeast, throw some 'mother' from my current vinegar and let it finish for a few more weeks.
Step 4. Bottle..

Easy enough :D

QldKev

Back