Finally About To Embark Apon Hen's Tooth Clone

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MHD

Reaction score
Up until now I have mainly been experimenting and have never really set out to clone a particular product...

But I do like Hen's Tooth, so I thought I would give it a go... Some time ago I asked about recipies and a few kind souls offered up this(19L):

4.53kg British 2 row pale malt (marris otter?)
283g 55 lovibond british crystal
226g torrified wheat
113g belgian aromatic malt (melanoidin)
226g rice hulls

90 minute boil
226g Invert sugar (Lyle's Golden Syrup) at 90
20g Target (7.5 AA) at 90
10g Challenger (8%) 90

14g Challenger - 45
7g Styrian Goldings -45

Irish moss - 15
21g fuggles - 15

Adjusting for available ingredients I will probably go this(23L):
4.5kg Golden Promise
120g Weyermann melanoidin
300g BB Dk Xtal (90l)
250g Torrified wheat
~300g Lyles GS (FINALLY found it!)

20g Target (7.5% AA, 90 min.)
14g Challenger (8% AA, 45 min.)
25g Fuggles (5.7% AA, 15 min.)
Yeast Brit Ale yeast

Whatchya all think??

i'm guessing that's the one from Clone Brews?

a lot of those recipes make nice beer, but they're certainly not clones, if by cloning we can agree that this involves using the same stuff as the brewery... No source I have ever seen lists aromatic or melanoidin for a UK beer.but it would probably taste nice anyway.

If you do want to get close to the beer I would look at culturing up the Hen's Tooth yeast. I used it for a couple of things before and it's a good yeast - powerful fermenting, and gives interesting flavour - fruity with a bit of tartness.

i'm guessing that's the one from Clone Brews?

a lot of those recipes make nice beer, but they're certainly not clones, if by cloning we can agree that this involves using the same stuff as the brewery... No source I have ever seen lists aromatic or melanoidin for a UK beer.but it would probably taste nice anyway.

If you do want to get close to the beer I would look at culturing up the Hen's Tooth yeast. I used it for a couple of things before and it's a good yeast - powerful fermenting, and gives interesting flavour - fruity with a bit of tartness.
Thats a good idea... is their primary yeast the same as their bottling yeast?

pretty sure - certainly seems to be a real old fashioned crusty english ale yeast at any rate.

found some info for you:

"The Hens Tooth is brewed using pipkin pale
and crystal malts, Challenger and Goldings hops, and Morlands proprietary yeast strain, which has been in
use for at least 100 years. At the time of bottling, a small dosage of maltose syrup (basically a sugar syrup
made from natural malt sugars) and yeast is added to facilitate the secondary fermentation. "

unclear whether the "yeast" added at bottling is the same as primary. but it certainly tasted similar when i cultured it up.

Sure is. I had confirmation from the brewery in the past when I questioned them on it:

John Bexon said:
Just to confirm the yeast is our Morland strain we use for the primary fermentation.

I've got some in my yeast bank.

Thought I would not that Morlands used to practice the dropping system - ie transfering from one primary fermentation vessel to another around 24 hours into the fermentation leaving the crud behind.

Back