Filtering

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Samwise Gamgee

Reaction score
At the moment I've got a wheat beer down which I added various hops and crystal grain too.

I want the finished beer to be relatively clear except for the cloudiness that a wheat beer generally has.

When I'm going to transfer it to the secondary I was just going to use a fine siv to hopefully grap most of the hops (pellets used).

Then when I transfer to another fermenter when bulk priming I was thinking of running the brew through muslin to do a more fine filter.

Does this sound OK? I don't want to prevent the finished beer from being cloudy, just don't want a lot of floaters or excess sediment in bottles.

If i wanted to get rid of the cloudiness (which I don't) the only thing to be used would be finnings or something like a .5 micron filter correct?

Cheers,

To filter, or not to filter.

Just about every kit beer I have seen is very very clear, or bright as it says on some judging notes. Most kit beers need absolutely no filtering. Not even fining.

Some brewers do like to filter using wine filters. Other brewers say this actually removes some of the flavour component and is not necessary.

All my beers have some cold conditioning and this drops a lot of stuff out. I have never filtered a beer. None of the all grain brewers that I chat to filter. We use kettle finings and cold conditioning to clear beers up.

Back to your brew. The hop debris will fall to the bottom of the fermenter, and when you rack, it should all stay there. Trying to use muslin or cloth to filter through is hard. You have to sanitise the cloth. You cannot pour through it as this is very very bad and will introduce oxygen to your finished beer, far worse than a bit of hop debris. If you manage to jam some cloth in the racking tube, it will stop the wort flow.

Give it a bit of time and the hops will end up on the bottom of the fermenter.

Thanks POL,

Sounds like the safest and easiest way to do it, a little hops never hurt anyone anyways! :p

But i'll definately leave it longer in secondary and/or will do CC as well I think.

*now to get that thermostat*

There are loads of ideas & options to be found via the search button-
http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...highlite=filter

A couple of things to bear in mind: pouring beer through a sieve will oxygenate it & thus oxidise it, muslin is a pain to sterilise & handle and IMHO is not very effective anyway, and .5 filters need a pump.

Finings will help, but are usually added before bottling, not racking.

I would suggest that you leave the brew alone until it's time to rack, then rack very carefully & gently using a siphon held an inch or so off the top of the yeast cake, not via the fermenter's tap. Add finings a day or so before bottling, and let everything settle before bottling- again gently & carefully.

What yeast did you use? Some settle better than others.

What POL says is true - but i have found that the hop pellets used to sink to the bottom - but dont seem to any more.

Hence i invested in the GMK In-Line under 10.00 filter.
I use an in-line irrigation filter with some 13mm rain water hose.
I run the beer thru this from the secondary to teh keg/bottling bucket.

Filters out the pellets held in suspension no worries - i dont filter from primary to secondary.

Dont use a sieve or muslin cloth as Black Lane advises.
I find taht siphons are a PITA - drop and stir up sediment etc.

if u do a search on this site there is a topic and pic on my filter - as someone has asked what it was.

I think there is a few AHBers that use my filter idea and have done for ages.....

Hope this helps....
Hope this helps.

Ross is sure to reply to this. He is the Filter guru.

GMK's inline filter is cheap, and it works, so I use it.

THe only problem you can run into is using hop flowers, this can clog it a bit. But just take the filter off, blast some water backwards through it, then resterilise and continue using, and all is hunky dory.

Tim said:
Ross is sure to reply to this. He is the Filter guru.
[post="49518"][/post]​

LOL - Biting my lip - all filtered out... :D

I see someones given the link - plenty of reading there...

Latest posts

Back