Filtering Trub... Reboil Question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guysmiley54

Reaction score
Hi,

I have just brewed a S&W style galaxy ale and had problems syphoning at the end of my whirlpool. This resulted in tonnes of trub in my cube and 3-4L of recoverable wort that I am planning on filtering from the trub left in the kettle.

I used a hop sock (I used flowers today) and added my 10 minute addition at flameout to avoid over bittering (I have had bad luck with galaxy and am cautious of its high AA even late in the boil) When collection the trub for filtering I squeezed the hop sock and got a good cup of hoppy liquor out too, it smells great :)

Now... I'm pitching tomorrow so to make use of this liquid I have to reboil. Due to the concentrated hops in this liquid (hop sock squeeze) will reboiling massively ramp up my calculated ibu level? I imagine it won't do much good for the aroma either!

Any experience on this one? I'm tempted just to toss it but 3-4L is a reasonable loss :( but if I ruin my whole batch 24L is much worse to lose!

I often reserve trubby wort and reboil the next day.

Leave it in the fridge overnight and most of the trub, including hops should drop out. Next day, decant clear wort, reboil that and use at will.

I often reserve trubby wort and reboil the next day.

Leave it in the fridge overnight and most of the trub, including hops should drop out. Next day, decant clear wort, reboil that and use at will.

I do this all the time myself too. Do you find you get additional bitterness?

I'm only worried this time because I haven't used a hop sock before and I wrung the sock out into the trub before filtering. I feel like there's more potential to isomerise bitterness because of this... I could be 100% wrong though :)

Nothing significant.

Personally I wouldn't worry about it unless you try it once and think 'ooh. Too much bitterness'. Hypothesising is all well and good but it's beer, it has a taste and you have a palate which is the best qualitative measuring instrument you can bring to the party.

Hypothesising is all well and good but it's beer, it has a taste and you have a palate which is the best qualitative measuring instrument you can bring to the party.

A wonderful sentiment too mate.

I will boil, cool and taste before making any decisions or thinking about it too hard.

Thing is, there's only so much bitterness you can actually get from hops and it's a small amount you are adding back so I can't see how it will screw massively with either flavour balance or bitterness of the overall product.

3-4 litres you say?

I concur with manticle, there won't be a significant effect- I've done this many times so don't worry is my advice. However if you're reboiling a bit of wort, it is a handy time to add yet more late hops, but you don't want to defeat the purpose of the reboil- i.e. end up with yet more worty trub! So, if you can restrain yourself, just reboil, cool and add to the fermenter to give your efficiency a boost.

Thing is, there's only so much bitterness you can actually get from hops and it's a small amount you are adding back so I can't see how it will screw massively with either flavour balance or bitterness of the overall product.

3-4 litres you say?

Um after a quick filter I ended up with just over 2L actually... Not sure if I accidentally tipped some out or if I was dreaming when I wrote that. I have a bad habit of not acurately measuring start volumes... I generally plan for 75% eff, get closer to 80% so end up with extra wort at the right gravity. I will get around to installing a sight gauage or using a stick with markings to check pre and post boil. I've been getting around it by elongating the boil wher necessary and adding boiling water during the boil to help get my dersired SG. As I cube, most of my late hops usually go in the cube or in a miniboil the next day so extending the boil doesn't hurt much.

Back on topic, the main reason I thought it may have some impact was that the last addition was solid at 30gm at 10 (calculated for nc) min. Still plenty of room for more isomerisation.

Anyhoo... I boiled and cooled my extra wort and gave it a quick taste to see what had changed. I would say the bitteness had slightly increased but the aroma was still good, I was surprised how little aroma was actually lost. I will add it back in when pitching tonight or in the morning.

Cheers

Back