Filtering Revisited

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ross

CraftBrewer
Reaction score
I know many prefer to use chemicals to clarify their beer, but personally I feel happier filtering - so for those who are interested - after extensive research & testing - here are my final conclusions.

Pleated PET cartridges are the most economical form of filtering (500 gals a cartridge) on the market for the home brewer. They are simple to use, will clear the murkiest brew without clogging & can be easily rinsed clean. IMHO they are therefore without doubt the No.1 option for those that wish to filter thier beer.

1 micron 'absolute' pleated PET cartridge ($14) - Produces a bright clear beer without removing all traces of yeast, therefore it can be used for bottling as well as kegging - The best all round value.

0.35 micron 'absolute' pleated PET cartridge ($48) - Produces a bright polished beer (commercial clarity), with no loss of flavour/colour/aroma - The best result possible, but only suitable for kegging.

Link to my supplier http://www.purerain.com.au/ Ask for Len (the owner), mention my name & he'll know what your enquiring about...

Cheers.... Ross

Ross

What flow rate do you get through the filter? Do you pump through it or gravity feed?

Cheers
Pedro

Pedro said:
Ross

What flow rate do you get through the filter? Do you pump through it or gravity feed?

Cheers
Pedro
[post="51182"][/post]​

Pedro,

I filter from keg to keg or keg to cube using the dispensing pressure of my CO2 - takes about 5 mins to do a keg.

Good info there Ross, might give them a ring.

Nice to meet you and taste some of your beers the other day.
Nice beers too.

Hoops

Good to meet up too - Often wonder how many people I've met unknowingly in the HBS from these forums...

Ross - how do you keep them sanitary? I take it you re-use the cartridge for more than one brew.

Can they be reverse flushed?

cheers

Thanks for the good info! I'm considering a filter setup too - it would have been nice to serve bright beer while camping over the weekend.

What sort of housing do you use - an under-sink unit? Or can you just use the cartridges directly somehow?

Yes - Can be reverse flushed or just rinsed inder a tap (good for a 100 brews apparently, but at the cost, if its looking shabby i just replace it) - i rinse mine in water & then a quick spray with sanitise before putting in a plastic bag in the fridge - other wise you can just fill with water & leave it (preferably refridgerated).

The housings are just a standard 10" model. but go for the clear casing so you can see what's going on.

Ross said:
Yes - Can be reverse flushed or just rinsed inder a tap (good for a 100 brews apparently, but at the cost, if its looking shabby i just replace it) - i rinse mine in water & then a quick spray with sanitise before putting in a plastic bag in the fridge - other wise you can just fill with water & leave it (preferably refridgerated).

The housings are just a standard 10" model. but go for the clear casing so you can see what's going on.
[post="52284"][/post]​

Out of interest, wouldn't oxidation be a problem for until the filter cartridge is full? Or do you just ditch the first 1/2L or so?

jgriffin,

I fill the filter with water & yhen purge it with CO2 before running the beer - so no risk....

Back