Filtering my brew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrGibbon

Reaction score
Hey All, I filtered some brew from one keg to another under on the weekend.

I have one of these style filters with a 1 or 5 micro cartridge:
Filter.jpg

So basically I ran a crap load of sanitiser through the whole setup and the "to" keg, and sat it for a while to make everything clean.

Then I connected it all up and it seemed to be transfering just fine and was done in no time at all.
I only used about half a bar of pressure to push the beer through, that was enough.

As for the filter, it only filled up about two inches from the bottom, are they supposed to fill the whole container, or is it different under pressure rather than gravity fed?

Thanks in advance.
Gib

Yeah they're supposed to fill the whole container. You let the air out by pressing the red button up the top before you open the valve / connect your beer in disconnect.

was your beer clearer after filtering?

and yes i have same filter, and i clog up after 22lt of beer, but dam its clear!....

mrgibbon, 1 or 5 micron filter? did you buy it or ended up in your posession?
there are many threads on filtering - haha, try the search function :) (the google one..)
yes press the red button to purge the filter. chilling fermentor before filtering will drop out most
debris and stop clogging as kingcutter has experienced.

yeah, I ran it through the 1 micron filter, that came with the filter, I bought the 5 micron ones seperatley.
I did push the button a few times during the filtering in the hope it would solve the issue, but to no avail.
I havent had a chance to actually look at the beer itself yet, might pour a glass tonight....

I have the value on the input side, should I put it on the output side and let the filter fill up first before letting it out to the 2nd keg?

Complete waste putting the value on the input, you can't bleed the air off unless it's on the output. Just swap them around, close the value and bleed the filter, then open the value to fill your receiving keg. All will be good next time.

Batz

the beer should go in so that the outside of the cartridge is where the debris goes - clear beer up through the centre of the filter.
you connect the beer in and leave the beer out closed until the filter is purged, pressing the red button during flow wont work,
as youve found out.

Latest posts

Back