Filtering Mash Water

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jethro

Reaction score
Im wondering if the ion exchange resins in the brita water filter reduces calsium hardness to a degree where it effects the mash. I guess since all the water is boiled anyway most chlorine will disipate anyway any thoughts :unsure:
Cheers Jethro

Use Rain water :)

Thanks GMK I put a thread out about 6 weeks ago on rain water but most all grainers recon the mineral salts may be too low I plan too use rainwater when I get my head around water chemistry an whatever adds are required.

I use an on tap Brita water filter for my mash and sparge water.
Hasn't affected my beers in any bad ways.

Doc

The ion exchange resin will remove some of the hardness from the water - as long as it is a fresh cartridge that you are using, similarly, the carbon will remove the chlorine so long as the filter is newish. Can't see there being enough ion exchange to really make a difference to a brew.

dreamboat

O.K. lads that convinces me to Keep going with the filter. I mashed without filtered water Yesterday was happy with the conversion batch sparging went to plan but smuggled trub into my fermenter. ( I recon this has been the cause of my problems) I have been using coarse steel wool tied in the kettle around the outlet valve but does little to hold back the trub. maybe next time Ill leave the wort longer to settle after cooling and syphen into the fermenter. The only clean wort to the fermenter aclomplished the scourer seemed to work well. oweel I hope to get it right one day. :huh:
Cheers Jethro

Jethro said:
Im wondering if the ion exchange resins in the brita water filter reduces calsium hardness to a degree where it effects the mash. I guess since all the water is boiled anyway most chlorine will disipate anyway any thoughts
Out of interest I measured the pH of my tap water (6.83) compared with water coming out of filter (6.66). So the filter is doing something.

The cartridge is about 6 months old and we are talking Melbourne water.

Back