Filtering Grains

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

berto

Reaction score
HI guys,
a few weeks ago i put down my first extract brew. batch 5 i think from memory. Today was batch 6, but to get the style i wanted i had to mini mash. Not interested in going AG at the moment. Today was more than enough to keep me happy. Quick question though. When my grains were crushed in teh shop there was a bit of powder in there, nothing excessive but a little.

As a result after i sparged them through a strainer there was a lot of fine sediment which made it through. Will this affect the clarity of my beer? Or will it drop out during fermentation?

Is there another way of filtering in future to stop this happening again?

Cheers, Rob

You will be right.

Part of the skill of mashing and sparging is to "set the grain bed" into a a filter and recirculate wort unitl it clears. That is not so easy with a strainer.

GrainCrush.jpg

You didn't mention boiling but you get even more sediment when boiling which you try to settle out.

My first partial mash sounds like a similar technique to yours and the beer was much better than the kits I had tried previously.

My first partial mash went like that and the beer was much better than the kits I had tried previously. Checkout http://brewiki.org/PartialMash/1

Back