Filtering Beer Question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hendos

Reaction score
Hi
I thought i would try and decided not to filter one of my beers.
Big mistake, very cloudy and yeasty.

Is it possible to let the gas out and filter the beer keg to keg, or is there too much risk
of getting an infection?

you can filter keg to keg with carbonated beer, just connect the two gas in posts with a bit of line and gravity filter.
There is a how with pics around here somewhere, if I'm not completely mistaken it was Ross who posted it light years ago.

Thanks mate
I did have a search before posting and i think i have
found the post you are talking about

Why bother mate, Leave it be, it will be pretty clear if left alone in fridge after a few days.
Cheers

Why bother mate, Leave it be, it will be pretty clear if left alone in fridge after a few days.
Cheers

Yep I'm the same. I hardly ever filter now, after a week under pressure and a few (5-10ish) schooners it's always clear. To be honest though it's not as clear as commercial beer so if I do a lager or Pils I'll usually use gelatin to get it crystal clear and a bit more pleasing to the eye. For ales though, let it be. Just my opinion. I never had much luck with filtering but maybe I was doing it wrong because I know most people have good success with it.

you can filter keg to keg with carbonated beer, just connect the two gas in posts with a bit of line and gravity filter.
There is a how with pics around here somewhere, if I'm not completely mistaken it was Ross who posted it light years ago.

This (closed system pressurised transfernthrough filter) works fine - it will go smoother if you also put thenpressure on the whole system up 5 or so Psi above where the beer had been carbonating and get it all (including the filter housing and filter) as cold as you can.

Beer down to 0 or 1 degree, filter and housing into the freezer for a while before you start, pressure up a chunk. That'll limit fobbing and things should go pretty smoothly.

Why should you filter? cause you want to! You'll get pretty damn clear beer by simply exercising patience, but if you want to filter, you can.

TB

Latest posts

Back