Filtering a DIPA

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pmastello

Reaction score
I've got a mates bucks party in the first weekend of March which I have brewed a few kegs of beer for. The last one to finish up is my attempt at a Pliney the Elder clone. Its just finished fermenting and is currently sitting at about 4C in my ferment fridge to drop as much yeast and hops before kegging.
I am concerned that the transport of the kegs 5 hours in the car and using the kegs with a jockey box without chilling the kegs themselves will mean that whatever hops and yeast remaining in the keg will result in a beer with lots of crap suspended in it.

I have a filter with a 1micron absolute filter. I was thinking I could filter it from the fermentor, then dry hop if for a week.
This will remove the yeast (WY1056) and kettle hops, but also some of the bitterness, aroma and flavour from the hops. Bitterness I can afford to lose as I missed my gravity by about 10 points, but if I filter it will it lose its IPA flavour and Aroma?

What would you do?

maybe use gelatine or the like if you are worried about filtering...

I would keep it safe in my fridge and share it with no one! I did the Hop hammer out of brewing classic style (pliney the elder clone) and used $250 of hops for a double batch. I definitely wouldn't filter it. Sorry but Cant help with the transport issue mate.

... $250 worth of hops? Wtf sort of beer requires $250 worth of hops? You can get .. what .. ~1500 grams of hops from Niko etc for like $50 + $25 shipping.

slash22000 said:
... $250 worth of hops? Wtf sort of beer requires $250 worth of hops? You can get .. what .. ~1500 grams of hops from Niko etc for like $50 + $25 shipping.
That's of one variety. Lots of people don't use enough of one variety to bother with Niko and the like.

I would simply jumper it into a new keg, so it doesn't matter if it gets rolled around. You might find filtering results in a less desirable beer.

micblair said:
I would simply jumper it into a new keg, so it doesn't matter if it gets rolled around. You might find filtering results in a less desirable beer.
Yeah, I was thinking this could be the best course of action too. I might have to get busy finishing off one of my other kegs. Life is hard sometimes ;)

bum said:
That's of one variety. Lots of people don't use enough of one variety to bother with Niko and the like.
Let's imagine you're buying hops from Australia. You normally pay, what, $9.90 for 90g in Australia. $250 / $9.9 = 25 packs, >2KG of hops.

He'd need to explain his hop buying situation but you're assuming that he used the full quantity purchased which would probably be a bit too convenient. Pliny the Elder "clones" usually seem to have anywhere from 3 to 5 different varieties so that leaves a fair bit of wriggle room for leftovers (depending on retail bag size).

I suspect he's maybe bought larger bags than that at a less reasonable price.

For what it is worth, I'm doing Vinnie Cilurzo's (Russian River) HB clone recipe next up and it has 350gms of hops.

Some pro brewers dry hop post filtration to increase hop aroma. I think I recall that Russian River was one of them from a podcast on the brewing network but could be confusing this with another brewery?

The yeast will absorb some bitterness and hop oils. So filtering the yeast out will take away the portioned of hop oils retained in the yeast. However, the theorey is you will get more bang for your buck from the dry hops if you take the yeast out before dry hopping as all hop oils remain in the beer. Keep in mind that this mentality is only valid if you are filtering regardless.

To answer your question... Yes, in my experience, you will lose some perceived bitterness and flavour if you filter. In my experience though, it won't be a massive loss. Noticeable but subtle. If you/the targeted drinkers prefer a clarified beer over a cloudy/yeasty beer then I'd filter it.

Filter it after dry hopping. Filtering with a 1 micron absolute filter will improve the clarity of aroma & flavour on top of appearence, improving your IPA IMHO in every way.
A hoppy beer with yeast suspended will have a muddying effect on aroma & flavour.

Cheers Ross

Ok, so filtering IS an option then. To be honest Ross, I am a little surprised that you are recommending to filter after the Dry hopping.
I can see the argument for filtering out yeast increasing hop aroma and flavour, but why not filter then dry hop? You've got no yeast to interact with hop volatiles and the filtration process may strip out some aroma and flavour added by the dry hops.
Can you elaborate a bit more on this for me?
But, I very much respect your opinion and knowledge, so if you reckon thats the way its done, Ill dry hop tomorrow and filter in a weeks time.

Hey Ginger,

You are keen putting up a DIPA at a bucks party! Either your mates have great taste or they have no idea what they are in for.... The night will end early regardless :chug: :icon_vomit:

Edit: Re read the OP and its not the only beer you are doing. 1 middie of said beer to an unsuspecting drunkard will end him though!

Its a bucks weekend with some fairly quiet guys. It will just be sitting around sinking beers then going to sleep. And I don't think any of them except for one is a big craft beer fan,but what I am hoping is that after a weekend with really good beer available for free, I might get some craft beer converts.
I did a DIPA because its an expensive beer to make, high in booze and one that must be drunk quickly. I don't actually drink much most of the time, especially during the week. I thought why not share it out with my mates at a time and place were the high alcohol won't be too much of an issue.

Fair enough mate, I have seen the damage my 10%er has done though.

Good luck with opening their eyes!

Back