Filling From Font?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Damian44

Reaction score
Hey peoples, I am about to bottling my beer from my kegorator. Would I be better off having my beer and and bottles at 3c or 8c, in regards to the foaming problem? Along the same lines, would it be more detrimental if my bottles were colder or hotter?

The first question I have to ask is why? Most would agree that the main advantage of kegging is not bottling - praise to whomever invented it and save me washing 28 plastic bottles every time a brew was ready!

i'm assuming they're for takeaways... only reason i bottle (from my kegerator)

I usually just waste a bit of beer pouring out of the tap but chilling the bottles is a great thing to do.

I'm a bit confuddled why you ask 8 or 3 degrees? maybe you serve your beer at 8? if so try and chill your bottles colder in a normal fridge, but to be honest, just chuck em in whatever fridge/kegerator you've got space in....

a really good tip (that i'm stealing from my local Ubrewit) is to sleeve a bit of vinyl/silicone hose over the end of the tap, that way the bottle fills up from the bottom... they also mount the tap horizontally, kind of making it like tipping the glass when you pour.

my other way is to just run a bit of beerline from the disconnect and fill out the end of the beerline (from the bottom of the bottle), burp the keg a bit and keep your gas pressure real low so it fills nice and slow.. no waste, no mess.

Just Google "filling bottles from keg" there are a couple of great youtube videos there well worth watching. The one main thing is to lower your pressure to about 3psi that will decrease foaming the most.

Hey peoples, I am about to bottling my beer from my kegorator. Would I be better off having my beer and and bottles at 3c or 8c, in regards to the foaming problem? Along the same lines, would it be more detrimental if my bottles were colder or hotter?

You have a CPBF?

Thanks guys, I am just getting some beers ready for Xmass. So it doesn't make any difference if the beer and bottles are warm or cold, just as long as they are the same temp?

Thanks guys, I am just getting some beers ready for Xmass. So it doesn't make any difference if the beer and bottles are warm or cold, just as long as they are the same temp?
I reckon if you don't have a cpbf , your almost wasting your time...
The beer will almost be oxidised and or flat come Chrissy if your simply filling from a keg and expecting it to last until December ....
We have a brewer at Westgate who does fill his beers from the tap and whilst he does extremely well at our club comps , with his beers judged by bjcp judges , he cannot even get a top 10 in comps like Vicbrew...he admits his non bottling ways are costing him and he is going to change his ways....
Ferg

Cold bottles will foam less. Same with cold beer. I always put the bottles in the freezer before filing from the keg.

Do one or 2 test bottles so you know how much foam you want to leave in the bottle so when capped and settled they are the correct fill level.

Follow the advice of dropping the pressure in the keg and fill slow. You will still get plenty of foam to push out the O2 from the bottle. Also I like to use a hose so you fill from the bottom of the bottle.

Here's my counter pressure bottle filler. Cost a few dollars and 5 min to make. The tube is(if I recall correctly) 8mm tubing from Bunnings and fits very snugly into the end of my Perlicks. The stopper I got from my LBS and the tube I had lying around. Works great, no foaming at all. I usually need to lift it out of the bottle and give it a final squirt to get some foam to cap on.

20120927_082322.jpg

If you have no CPBF and unless you are in urgent need for an empty keg, then why don't you just store the keg until Xmas?...

I know its an old post but cheers for the idea Frothie.

I made something similar from the same 8mm ID bunnings hose and a superball (both items I already had). I put an 11mm drill through the superball and it fit over the hose snug. The hose could not be more perfect size for Perlick taps.

When filling I hold the bottle hard on the superball which pushes on the tap. The bottle builds up pressure and prevents flow before it gets to 1/4 full, so you have to back off against the superball to keep it coming. It seems to work well, I don't see myself buying a blichman any time soon.

Cheers.

DSC_0317.jpg

DSC_0318.jpg

If you bottle them for Xmas you will be so disappointed come that time of year because they will be flat and wasted. Unless you remove the oxygen. I'd either keep the keg or for future brews keg 2/3rds and bottle the other third.....or.....make 22litres and you have enough for full kegs and bottles.

Latest posts

Back