Filling An 11l Keg From A 20l Keg

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thunderlips

Reaction score
Does anyone do this?
I've recently got an 11L keg from Ebay and plan to use it this weekend. Do you think it would be ok to fill this keg from one of the taps that is in my fridge door?

God NO!

Now that the beer is feremnted air/oxygen is your mortal enemy.
The way to fill from one keg to another is to get 2 liquid disconnects on the same beer line.
Sanitise the 11L keg, (if you're keen you can fill with water then use CO2 to push all the air out)
Connect the Liq-Liq line and beer will start flowing.
As the flow slows, release pressure form the 11L keg (you may also need to add more pressure to the 20L keg - I overpressurise my donor keg before transfering)
As soon as you see all the crap coming through the line pull the disconnect off.
Job done - "test" beer in 11L keg to make sure it worked properly :chug:

Hoops

Hopps,

If filling a party keg for just a w/e use, I see no problem in just filling from your tap - I've done it heaps of times with no ill effect.

I agree the transfer line is better, just make sure you feed the party keg via its outpost though, so that the beer feeds from the bottom, otherwise you'll have foam everywhere - I have a lead with 2 x black connectors for this very purpose. I also just leave the lid off the party keg while filling, so it's easy to fill to the level you want....

I'm sure it would be OK if you drank the whole thing quickly but I don't do it that way for 2 reasons:

1. Chance of oxidation if not drunk in a day or 2
2. Loss of carbonation.

Hoops

got to agree with Ross..

that is teh way to do it - use a liquid to liquid transfer hose with the lid off the 11 ltr keg.

i also gas th ekeg intitially thru the out post using a liquid disconect at 250 kpa for 24 hours.

Hoops said:
The way to fill from one keg to another is to get 2 liquid disconnects on the same beer line.
[post="54379"][/post]​

I do the same as hoops. 1 metre of beer line with beverage out QD's on each end, open the pressure relief valve on the keg you want to fill.
I put a fair amount of pressure on the keg the beer is already in otherwise it would take quite a while to fill the other.

Jayse

It's easy enough to keep the lid on the receiving keg.

Like the others I bump the pressure up a little otherwise it takes forever. Leave the pressure valve open on the rec. keg and just transfer via a jumper hose. Have your beer chilled as much as possible.

You can tell if your rec. keg is full via two methds.

1. If your beer is chilled enough you can follow the condensation line on the rec. keg. It's a bit vague but sort of works. Just look for a movement of moisture on the outside of the keg, when it gets close to the top the keg is obviously getting full.

2. Just fill until you get either foam or a bit of beer spurting from the pressure valve. Stop filling, close the valve. Put your beer gun on the keg and pour a glass out to give back some headspace (if your beer is not yet carbonated). Consume the glass you poured for research purposes.

You're (hopefully) away. :chug:

Warren -

Alternatively just leave the lid off the receiving keg - as long as you've got some CO2 in there it will sit above the beer anyway.

Apart from using my plug 'n' play counter pressure filler fitted up with liquid QD's:

CPF.jpg

I have been frigging around with the idea of putting an old fridge compressor on the rx keg and fill by vacuum. Some clear tube and quick work with the off switch might be required to prevent the old "beer in compressor" trick.

Re: the whole pour it in method without a transfer line, at the recent brizzy brew day tha GS attended, he mentioned that during a beer comp they deliberately oxidised a beer 1 hour before judging, then checked out the score compared to a non-oxidised sample of the same beer. In as little as an hour it had dropped quite a few points, so i wouldn't want to leave it the several hours it would take to consume and 11L keg.

Thanks all. It never crossed my mind to use two liquid disconnects.

Hey Sosman - where d'you get those plastic QD posts?

I'm thinking of doing something groovy for gas in my new freezer conversion, ie have a gas disconnect on the outside of the freezer for connecting the big bottle at home, and have a manifold inside with another gas disconnect for my sodastream bottle when I take the thing on tour. This way, the sodastream bottle only has one disconnect hanging off it - ideal for the single keg party rig...

:super:

Wortgames said:
Hey Sosman - where d'you get those plastic QD posts?
[post="54578"][/post]​
Sorry for the late reply. I got them from Industrial Fitting Sales in noble park. They are john guest brand. I have since started getting the Legris brand.

I think they call them push in fittings.

Back