Filling Aluminium Soda Stream Bottles

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stagger

Reaction score
I have made adapters to fill the old steel bottles but know trying to get information on filling the aluminium ones.

On the old steel bottles there is a bleed valve on the brass collar, but I cant find a bleed on the aluminium ones, there is a small hole that runs through the neck with something in the middle but not sure what.

Any of you fine people tried to fill the aluminium soda stream bottles?

Stagger

Stagger,
I fill aluminium bottles regularly and simply put them in the freezer for 20min before the operation. I find I get around 200 to 250gm into them and dont waste any of that expensive gas.

Thanks Tony M i take it you invert your bottle to get liquid not gas.

I tryed it last night first I chilled the bottle, attached the adapters inverted the filling bottle and filled, on the aluminium the bottle it gave a weight of 0.33kg of c02 and a tare weight of 0.53kg, after filling I weighed the bottle and I managed to get 0.343kg of c02 in the aluminium bottle. This method works extremely well and what I can see very safe, it seem to have a safety valve in the middle of the neck.

Although I did hide behind my bar the first time I filled one, and told the wife if she herd a big bang and ring an ambulance.

Stagger

Stagger said:
Although I did hide behind my bar the first time I filled one, and told the wife if she herd a big bang and ring an ambulance.

:ph34r: I reckon I will stick to KMart for my refills :ph34r: :lol:

Stagger said:
I tryed it last night first I chilled the bottle, attached the adapters inverted the filling bottle and filled, on the aluminium the bottle it gave a weight of 0.33kg of c02 and a tare weight of 0.53kg, after filling I weighed the bottle and I managed to get 0.343kg of c02 in the aluminium bottle. This method works extremely well and what I can see very safe, it seem to have a safety valve in the middle of the neck.

Stagger
[post="75697"][/post]​

Stagger, some pics/diagrams of your setup ...bottle to bottle ... would be good!
I'm keen to give it a try !!!?? :unsure:

JasonY said:
[post="75711"][/post]​

Geez Jason you should see GLs sodatream filling device the finest piece of backyard engineering I have ever seen. He lent it to me after I was brave enough to give him a demo on how to use it last Saturday. Dont tempt me to briung it to sandgroptoberfest and the fire extinguisher again!!!

Ausdb

ausdb said:
Geez Jason you should see GLs sodatream filling device the finest piece of backyard engineering I have ever seen. He lent it to me after I was brave enough to give him a demo on how to use it last Saturday. Dont tempt me to briung it to sandgroptoberfest and the fire extinguisher again!!!

Does it involve pulleys and large vessels full of water :eek: :p :ph34r:

ausdb said:
JasonY said:
[post="75711"][/post]​

Ausdb
[post="76076"][/post]​

Cool idea. Anyone who wants their soda stream bottle filled, bring it to Deebees, and AusDB will sort it out in return for beer. I of course take a cut, since its my fitting, (although I'm actually too scared to touch it myself) but if it blows up its only Deebees house anyway.

It's all safe, that why they have pressure relief valves.
All I can say is I fill both steel and aluminium bottles with out a problem. I made the adapters myself and I brought the correct hose for the job, I would not do it with the wrong gear.

Stagger

Back