Fill Bottles From The Tap..

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warb

Reaction score
What's the best way to fill up some takeaways from the keg?.. I'd rather a technique rather then spend $$, but any suggestions would be great..

This is not for long term storage... bottle that afternoon, drink that night..

What I am doing now is chilling the bottles and filling at a very low pressure, takes time but seems to work, or is there a better way?

Works for me. Sometimes I'll go to the trouble of using a bit of tubing from the tap to the bottom of the bottle but normally I'l just chill or freeze the bottle then fill from the tap (actually I find my picnic faucet quite good).

JD

Sluggerdog, CO2 comes out at warm temps, you chill the bottle to try to minimise the amount of CO2 that comes out of solution. Like pouring beer in to a warm glass or even opening a bottle of warm beer, foams because the CO2 wants to get out of solution, by keeping it cold the CO2 remain. Aggitation will also drive CO2 out of solution too, that's why you fill the bottle at low pressures to try and minimise the aggitation which leads to foam.

FWIW it's the combination of a warmish glass and the aggitation that gives you the head on your beer. This is also part of the reason that you shouldn't store you glasses in the fridge/freezer-well not if you like a good head on your beer (and if your beer will hold a good head, unlike most comercial sugar beers, why wouldn't you want one). Sometimes if you freeze your glass then pour in the beer it will foam like crazy, this as far as I know is due to the ice crystals that have formed on the inside of the beer glass (frozen condensation) and are creating nucleation sites for the gas to come out of solution (basically creates rough patches that aggitate the beer as it passes). I could be wrong but this was my understanding.

Boil42, I agree that you'd get heckled something fierce, they look like baby's bottle teats.

Cheers, JD

thanks for that, interesting info on temps, warm/cold glass...

I will keep carrying on :chug:

boil42 said:
Here's a nifty bit of gear for wacking a bit of Co2 in to keep your beer fresh in the bottle.

http://www.morebeer.com/product.html?product_id=18250
Hey thats just like the one I made ...

BottleFillerQD.jpg

I bought a spare beer connect and put a length of tubing on it. Back the keg pressure right off and just use enough gas to push the beer out into a bottle. Usually I bottle take away in PET. I also have some of the clever carbonater caps for PET bottles, so if necessary, can top up a bit of gas.

The beer connect and tubing is also handy for pushing sanitiser out of kegs.

I just used a picnic tap with a tube attached over the end. Worked fine for filling a few bottles to take somewhere.

If you're going to bottle seriously using that method though, you're better off getting a CFBF.

Back