Fifo Brew Rigs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danhutch333

Reaction score
I've been working FIFO for 5 years and finally find myself in a position where I will be returning to the same place each time.
Upside - Now I can keep enough equipment at camp to begin brewing up here as well as at home.

The time constraints are challenging - 13hr days with no days off while at work.
The space constraints are challenging - 1 room to stay in and 1 cupboard to store all my possesions in while I'm on break.
However, the rewards are enormous :D So it is worth pushing ahead.

My basic set up so far is a 20L Water can which can make enough for about 20 longnecks (average consumption = 1 per night over 14 nights + some for friends).
I was thinking about buying one of these so I can do a boil while up here but in the mean time I will prepare (steep/boil) my hops and specialty grains the day before flying up and put into a sterile container. Then I can mix it with my LDME + water + yeast and I'm away.

BIAB is always an option with an urn (which I don't have) but the time involved has me leaning towards all extract.

So I'm wondering, who else finds themselves in the same position and what sort of set up do you have in place? Have you had any issues with management? Any there many FIFO brewers out there?

You must be in a good camp. None I've stayed in (bar one) allowed home brew. That one required written permission from the GMO.

BIAB might be a stretch in camp. The brew takes around 3-5 hours depending, so fitting it in after work will push it. Plus your room will smell like crap after the hops addition and the cleaners will be onto you.

Good luck tho, I've always wanted to brew on site.

The camp is set up pretty well. I've got a kitchenette in the room with a sink, some utensils, fridge and a microwave. All of which will make brewing easier in some way. It's also 30 minutes from the Gas plant where I work so we can "get away" with a bit more than those (at other mines/facilities) who stay in a room onsite.

:p Couldn't agree more with the BIAB comment. I have a colleague who does AG up here and it takes hours. On his brew days he will start at 7pm and then finish up around midnight. Considering we all get up before 5am, that's just too much loss of sleep for me.

I'll have to see how it all works out but I believe it has potential. If I put a brew down as soon as I get in and bottle it a day before I leave then it can condition while I'm away. By the time I'm back at work, 2 weeks will have passed and it will be ready to drink. :D Repeat process.

Somebody ought to set up a fwk business in Perth!

For fifo $ id just buy good beer. Or make sprits. Pains me to say it, but i recon its the truth.

I've always wondered how a microbrewery would go down somewhere like Port Hedland. Plenty of thirsty punters with plenty of cash.

Camp brewing - braumeister would be the answer.

I've always wondered how a microbrewery would go down somewhere like Port Hedland. Plenty of thirsty punters with plenty of cash.

Camp brewing - braumeister would be the answer.
Foles could be right about a braumeister. You make ur invesyment back after 35ish brews (working on $80 a slab).

Well I'm back insure with all the gear and the first FIFO brew is bubbling away. :D

2012_11_25_18_59_52_453.jpg

Slightly off topic, How do you go for temp control up there Dan, I imagine the swings in temp would be huge. Can you get a fridge mate onto a small bar fridge to keep your yeast happy?
Not off topic at all.
My reverse cycle air con NEVER stops. 20c in my room, round the clock.
I could make it lower but it seems really silly to be wearing winter clothes when it's summer weather outside.
Carbon footprint= more than it should be.

Can you brew in your offswing at home and lug a no chill cube up there every now and then?

Over time you would have a stash ready to ferment and you can then AG at home.
No chill in some 10L cubes and i reckon you could take them up on the plane in carry on luggage.

What roster do you do? I think this would be important to know....

Cheers,
D80

Not off topic at all.
My reverse cycle air con NEVER stops. 20c in my room, round the clock.
I could make it lower but it seems really silly to be wearing winter clothes when it's summer weather outside.
Carbon footprint= more than it should be.
So you donga is your fridge, haha. nice

Get yourself a feather quilt and you can start lagering!

Can you brew in your offswing at home and lug a no chill cube up there every now and then?

Over time you would have a stash ready to ferment and you can then AG at home.
No chill in some 10L cubes and i reckon you could take them up on the plane in carry on luggage.

What roster do you do? I think this would be important to know....

Cheers,
D80

For the moment I'm using this to get rid of my remaining kit cans but the plan is similar to your suggestion. Get a partial prepared at home and make up the difference with some DME up here.

My roster? It's pretty good. 2 on, 2 off, 2 on, 4 off. Repeat.
I can start fermenting as soon as I arrive. Drink/share my 20 longnecks while I'm here. A day or so before I leave I clean and then bottle my brew. Then by the time I get back the batch is ready to drink and I can get the FV started again.
Awesome!

For the moment I'm using this to get rid of my remaining kit cans but the plan is similar to your suggestion. Get a partial prepared at home and make up the difference with some DME up here.

My roster? It's pretty good. 2 on, 2 off, 2 on, 4 off. Repeat.
I can start fermenting as soon as I arrive. Drink/share my 20 longnecks while I'm here. A day or so before I leave I clean and then bottle my brew. Then by the time I get back the batch is ready to drink and I can get the FV started again.
Awesome!

that is an awesome roster, 4 off, crikey>>>>

Latest posts

Back