Help Support Aussie Homebrewer by donating:

FG too high :(

Discussion in 'All Grain Brewing' started by DrJez, 9/7/18.

1. DrJez

Posted 9/7/18
    So I've been making the same exact pilsner for many batches now. But this one (mashed light/med body again) ended at 1.012 fg rather than the normal 1.010 - 1.008.. what's the go with this, is this something that just happens from time to time?

2. brewgasm

Posted 9/7/18
    So many variables in homebrew. I wouldn't be worried as it is probably a great drop and you might like it more than the ones that finished lower. I prefer dryer beer but the bock that I have on tap right now finished at 1.018. I was worried even though that was inspec for style. Turned out great :)

Garagebrew likes this.
  3. MHB

Posted 9/7/18
    Assuming you haven't changed anything, the first two places I would look are
    Mash Temperature. How do you measure temperature, both digital and dial thermometers can drift over time and require calibration. Everyone should have 1 good glass lab thermometer that you can use to reference.
    Yeast. If you are re-culturing your yeast or making largish starters it might be a good idea to look at your processes.

There are a couple of other things that might contribute (remember that it might be an acumination of other minor factors - not just one). How old is your malt, do you bulk buy and store for a long time. Has your water changed. Your mill settings. A bit of leftover sanitiser. Temperature control over ferment...

I like to say "Everything ends up in the glass" its not that big a change, but check the obvious and see if it fixes the problem or if it persists next time you brew.
    If you have the same issue, as brewgasm says there are so many variables, you will need to post a lot more information on your ingredients and processes.
    Mark

DrJez and Garagebrew like this.