FG stopped at 1.026 after 2 attempts at re-pitching yeast....

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winstanley

Reaction score
Hi All,
I am new to the world of home brewing so there is obviously ALOT for me to learn.
I have recently batched my first all grain brew, all went well until the 2 and a half week mark the FG hasn't dropped below 1026.

Here is an over view of what i did with my brew.

BIAB
Ale 78.8%
Munich Light 8.8%
Medium Crystal 2.9%
Cara Malt 2.7%
Cara Pils 6.9%

Eldorado hops 15g for 60 min boil

Cascade 15g for 15m
Eldorado 15g for 15m

Cascade and Eldorado 5g each at 5min
Cascade and Eldorado 5g each for dry hopping

Mashed in at 66 deg for 1hour and let drip in while heating kettle for 60 min boil.
cooled wort in about 5 hours and pitched first yeast Safale 05(sprinkled dry yeast over the top) when it was at 26 deg. (possibly my first mistake). So two and a half weeks later after not dropping past 1026, I shook the fermenter and sprinkled over more yeast (more Safale 05). four days later still no change so i tried rehydrating a pack of Safale 05....... Two days later still no change!!!

WHAT HAVE I DONE WRONG?!?!?!
Do i just bottle at a fg 1026 with half the priming sugar i would normally use?

It taste ok but will be very low alcohol.

What are my options???

What was your OG? I had a similar issue a while back with an imperial stout - I threw everything at it, couldn't get it to drop below 1.034 (was meant to get to 1.022). Anyway, even after everything I did I noticed that it actually was tasting pretty darn good, so in the end I did as you have suggested, primed with a little less sugar (about 3/4 of the actual amount) and bottled it up. Now it turned out alright but I should have stuck to the original priming rate because it came out a little flat - that's because there weren't any 'hidden' sugars left to ferment and all I had achieved was 75% of the CO2 levels I really wanted..

So, others may correct me if bad advice but I would taste it first and if it tastes alright then just prime with the regular amount of sugar and bottle away.. don't worry about the ABV, live and learn for next time. Always pitch with the right amount of yeast in good, healthy condition - I use yeast starters and yeast nutrient now, never had a problem since..

Thanks Schikitar,

The OG was 1.044 so it hasn't dropped much at all, i just bottled it with 6g of standard sugar and i used my plastic bottles just in case of explosions.

Not sure why it didn't drop further....

See if i have more luck with my next brew.

05 for me normally finishes in 4 to 5 days at 17c(pitched at 16/17c) and finishes at 1010 or there about. If I don't make a yeast starter I pitch 2 packs and re hydrate first. At 26c I would expect it to take of like a rocket and be done in a couple of days.
You may have a yeast health issue.
You could take a cupful ad some more yeast and see if it starts again.
Like Schikitar taste and see.
Are you using a hydrometer and comp for temp
If you are using a refractometer you need to compensate for the alcohol.

if its a true fg reading consider your thermometer used for the mash. I got thrown off course with my latest Stout finishing at 1.024 when expected 1.011. I found out the thermometer I use may have been dropped or something and is now reading near 10c lower than true. So I thought I was mashing at 65c but really it was in the 70's. Lots of unfermentable sugars as the result.
Also recommend better practices with yeast. Re hydration, yeast starters, yeast calculations to get correct pitch rate. All the effort of all grain brewing you cant be slack on the yeast its the most important part along side hygiene and sanitation.
$0.02

I just used the hydrometer to get my reading. I had a really cheap thermometer when i was mashing in, so im thinking i mashed at a high temp, as Dan was saying and ended up with a lot of unfermentable sugars. The beer still tastes nice but is low alcohol so i can drink a few extra glasses :cheers:.

Im pretty sure it had nothing to do with the yeast Kev as i put 3 packets in (not all at once) and nothing happened. I will be re-hydrating my yeast from now on, just to give it that extra chance at starting off strong.

Have not made it to the world of refractometers yet Coodgee I will have to have a look into them. There is a lot to learn still, I have ordered a new thermometer, pump and some heavy duty hoses so it will be a little more precise on my next brew which is an APA with a bit of a Rye base..

Thanks All
:bigcheers:

I'm curious to know if dry enzymes would be helpful in that situation. I have never used them but it would be good to know if I ever get into that pickle.

Degas the sample, pour between a few glasses to flatten out, co2 bubbles will hold up the hydro.

Otherwise, high firm stops from lack of oxygen, nutrient, temp of ferment and yeast health. Have a read on yeast, not the first, not the last

I'm curious to know if dry enzymes would be helpful in that situation. I have never used them but it would be good to know if I ever get into that pickle.
Yes it is definitely an option to ferment out, but often all the way out too. I used it to try and correct a low attenuated beer (~1.024) when wanted 1.014. The result of adding the enzyme to correct got me to 1.002.
Over Attenuated! Much higher alc volume and was prettey good to drink as well but on the high and dry side but it is definitely an option. Tip in a satchel of dry enzyme and wait another week at least.
Or just drink this sweet beer as is while planing your next brew. :cool:

Back