Fg reading

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can’t answer that one (I'm assuming you had a picture that didn’t get attached) without a lot more information.
The FG can vary a lot from beer to beer, there is no hard and fast rule that says 1.014 is right! Or wrong for that matter. It depends a lot on what went into the beer, the type of yeast, how the wort was made, the volume... and a lot more.
If you made a kit with 1kg of sugar/dextrose to 23L I would expect it be to closer to 1.008-1.010 (give or take).
Give us a bit more to work with and someone might be able to help.
Mark

Can’t answer that one (I'm assuming you had a picture that didn’t get attached) without a lot more information.
The FG can vary a lot from beer to beer, there is no hard and fast rule that says 1.014 is right! Or wrong for that matter. It depends a lot on what went into the beer, the type of yeast, how the wort was made, the volume... and a lot more.
If you made a kit with 1kg of sugar/dextrose to 23L I would expect it be to closer to 1.008-1.010 (give or take).
Give us a bit more to work with and someone might be able to help.
Mark

Attachments

• 16603079689282887355867002463863.jpg
    16603079689282887355867002463863.jpg
    426.6 KB · Views: 0
The final gravity of a beer is made up of water, alcohol and the bits of the malt/sugars that didn’t ferment. The more malt you used at the start the higher the FG will be, so how much frigging malt did you use? If you make it to a lower volume same thing, so was it made to 23L?

I don’t know why but getting information out of new brewers is often like trying to pull teeth, only asking because to get a helpful answer we need the information.
Looking at the picture, I would guess the FG at closer to 1.018, if you used 1.5kg of Liquid Malt Extract (LME) best guess would be it isn’t really finished.
If it cools down at night that can often send a yeast to sleep, pretty common in winter. If you over heat it that can cause problems to.
There are no doubt some good vids online showing how to get an accurate readings with an hydrometer, might be worth having a look.
Mark

Check the hydrometer using plain tap water. It should read about 0.00

If you're close to a Homebrew Shop grab a packet of Nottingham yeast. Sprinkle it on top of the wort and try to keep it at 20 degrees for a couple of days.

If not, just bottle it. Might not be the beer you wanted but it's still beer. If you're using glass bottles make sure the FG remains stable for a few days before bottling.

Back