FG BIAB problem

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackdaw

Reaction score
Done 5 BIAB now and all seem to finish at around 1.020.
Ive been doing Dr Spurtos, a LC Golden Ale Clone and the rest basic IPA's - Maris Otter, bit of Caramunich, Vienna and 2 hops.
Mash temp 67C for 75 min
Boiling 37L for 90 mins and ending up with 18-20L
Getting a good OR at 1.050-1.058 in fermenting fridge at 21C with US 05 and temp raised to 23C after a few days.
Have tried giving the wort a stir when it stops at 1.020 to no avail.
Any ideas on how to reduce my FG?

67 is a little high for a mash temp, depending on style. I mash my Pale ales at 64.4.
A couple of things to check are how much caramunich are you using this will add body (Sg points) that won't ferment out.
Check your hydrometer in water and make sure it's reading 0.000 @ the correct temp, this will be written on the hydrometer. If your using a refracrometer it will give a false high reading due to alcohol in the solution.
Pitching rate is ok, ferment temp is ok.
Hope this helps

Thanks guys. Will reduce the mash temp!
Using 600g of caramunich, 300g vienna and 4.6kg Maris

Gday Jack. I was having the same problem until recently. It was pointed out to me that I was mistaking "Mash in temp of 67 degrees" for "Mash temp of 63 degrees". Mashing at 67 degrees was producing very full bodied, thick, syrup like beers that were only getting to around 1.018 FG. Still very drinkable but not ideal. Lesson learned. Cheers[emoji481]

I regularly mash at 67-68C and achieve FGs of 1.010/11. This is the default setting in beersmith for a single infusion, medium body.

I would be checking my thermometer and hydrometer to ensure accuracy and precision.

Using hydrometer or refractometer to measure fg?
600 cara is a fair bit in a single and may add to high fg along with mash temp, refrac needs to be corrected for presence of alcohol.

Do you make a yeast starter?

What about aeration of the wort before pitching?

I've had problems with high FGs in the past, and these have definitely helped bring it down.

First thing to check is that your thermometer is accurate. I regularly mash at 67c & never finish that high even with a decent whack of crystal

Just my 2c.

Check your mash temp. with another thermometer. 67 should be absolutely fine. I get FGs of about 1.012-1.015 with similar yeast, similar OGs and grists.

Make sure you are using a hydrometer (which you have checked the calibration on) to test your FG and make sure you are making corrections if you are not testing in the 15-20 degree vicinity.

If you are using a refractometer to test fermented wort (alcohol skews the reading), you need an accurate OG and a calculator to determine the gravity. Also, if it has an SG scale, disregard that and use the Brix scale. Refractometer calculators should have the option to enter the reading as Brix. The SG scale is likely wrong. Moral of the story, its far less complicated testing FG with a hydrometer.

How does the beer taste? is it too sweet? too thick?

I'm with the others, it sounds like there's an issue with either your thermometer or hydrometer (or not converting refractometer readings post ferment). I regularly mash my pale ales around the 66-67 mark and although I don't use that much crystal (around 300g), they always finish around 1010-1012, sometimes lower.

You must be boiling bloody hard and/or losing a shitload to trub to only end up with 18-20 litres from 37 litres boiled 90 minutes though. :blink:

Latest posts

Back